Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting AN outer barrel cut down/rethreaded

hello!

Thinking of giving my gun the CQB barrel, but dont want to pay the £100 + price for a CQB barrel set (Masada)

Has anyone sent there barrel off to a CNC factory/have the equipment to have it cut down, then a tap and die to put the correct thread on it?

putting a thread onto the outer barrel, will this require a CNc to get it close th size of the thread, then tapp and die to put the thread on, or is it a case of put a tap and die on, then reduce the size untill you get to the required size?
    FOR SALE
    7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
    , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Re: getting a outer barrel cut down/rethreaded

I could probably do this for you, have lathe & full set of taps/dies 14x1 both CW&CCW. Need to know lengths etc.

SAS

Comment

Where re you based? and how much?
      FOR SALE

Comment

PM sent.

SAS

Comment

Originally posted by ElZer0 View Post
          putting a thread onto the outer barrel, will this require a CNc to get it close th size of the thread, then tapp and die to put the thread on, or is it a case of put a tap and die on, then reduce the size untill you get to the required size?
          To answer this question:
          The end would need to be turned down to just under 14mm before using the die. That could be manual or CNC. Quite possibly manual would be cheaper - it'd take longer to program the CNC than to do it on a manual machine.

Comment

Manual would definitely be cheaper - and you'd probably have better success cutting the thread on a lathe - no risk of it not being square that way!
            Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

You can still use taps and dies in a lathe - I do.
              Use the lathe for the alignment with tail stock tap/die holders, and turn it by hand to do the cutting (less risky than under power), then slow in reverse to wind the tap or die out.

Comment

Indeed, ive done it plenty of times myself, I just prefer thread-cutting (mainly because freshers have a habit of trashing tooling, and they aren't allowed anywhere near the thread-cutters :P
                Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

The prob id i no longer have access to this stuff so need to find a company tgat does
                  FOR SALE

Comment

You need to make sure the barrel is suitable, too.
                    A M14 x 1mm thread needs material with a minimum outer diameter of 14mm.

The thread itself is 0.5mm deep all the way around.

Then you need material inside that 13mm diameter to support the thread and whatever you're going to attach.
                    I prefer a minimum of 1mm all-round, meaning the max hole through the barrel could be 11mm.
                    8.5 to 9mm is the minimum for a normal airsoft inner barrel.

Comment

its more a case of cutting down my standard outer barrel...

it seems to be 15mm diameter... so with it being only 1mm bigger than I need, I tak it I could cut the outer barrel with a hack saw, then tap and die the thread onto it
                      FOR SALE

Comment

Re: getting AN outer barrel cut down/rethreaded

No. You need to reduce the diameter to 14mm (preferably less - I can't remember the exact number, but 14mm will do). A die can't cleanly cut a whole mm off the diameter. It'll be VERY hard to do (IF you can), and it'll be very messy.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ElZer0 I was born, stuff happend Find out more about ElZer0
                        Working...
                        X