FPS query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS query

apologies if this has been covered before, I did search for an answer but without any success

basically, how do I achieve max fps from an electric setup? site limits are not an issue as my project will never be skirmished, i just need to get maximum power, preferably 600+fps, with the heaviest bb i can get.

at the moment distance isn't really an issue, neither is rate of fire as my intended project will be single shot only anyway. if electric won't do it then CO2 is a definite option

Re: FPS query

Actually, limits ARE important. What use you're going to put it to is irrelevant.
    e.g. "It's OK, officer, I can have this live, full-auto AK47 because I'm not going to shoot at anyone with it"...

Comment

Spring is key to high fps but make sure you upgrade the cylinder to. Otherwise it'll just crack. I've never seen anything over the 650fps mark.

Comment

FPS is not your concern.... muzzle energy is.

For the sake of argument, lets say you are using 0.4g sniper ammo (it is the heaviest common ammo i know of)

938fps with a 0.4 gives a muzzle energy of 16.26 Joules
        939fps with a 0.4 gives a muzzle energy of 16.30 Joules

The threshold for firearms certificate is for an rifle is 16.26981 Joules (converted from 12ftlb)

Provided you stay under 938fps with 0.4 ammo you will not do 5 years on C wing. You will however have an air weapon and firing at anybody constitutes assault!

For that much power and energy, i suggest a full metal build

Comment

Arent semi auto and full auto air rifles completely illegal?
          Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Semi auto arent, full however i believe are.
            Edit: but a spring that can output 938fps is gonna be crazy hard to compress.
            -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
            -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Fully auto at that power i think is - i will do some digging... i think tech will prevent it being full auto long before concerns for the law will...

To compress the spring that can acheive that sort of power you are looking at a Challenger 2 Tank starter motor being run by a small nuclear power station. The whole thing will need to be made out of diamond enriched diamonds to prevent it exploding under compression.

Just buy an air rifle - My BSA Super 10's are both knocking out 11.9 ftlb (probably less as they are well over due a service)

The .22 fires at approx 600fps
              The .177 at approx 800fps

Bolt action on a precharge pneumatic system. No spring pressure against the bolt or anything like that.

Comment

Achieving 600fps (w/.20g) in an AEG isn't actually that difficult, with the ratios on some gear sets this has been achievable for years before Neodymium magnet equipped motors came on the scene. The only issue is why you would need such a powerful setup, and more importantly in an AEG it would become illegal with full auto.
                dsgdreamteam

Comment

The heaviest BB you can get might be 0.4g for airsoft use though getting metal BB's are obviously going to be far heavier than that at around 1g a shot. These are easy enough to get hold of though the extra weight could end up knackering the hop rubber. As said already though its an interesting idea but you might as well buy an air rifle as its going to be much more accurate.

Comment

Just gonna throw some fun in the mix;

If you had an airsoft gun that you modded to do 900fps full-auto and you played with a few mates in a field that were fine with this, since that is an airsoft skirmish (although not insured), could it be still considered an airsoft gun as the gun was made for the intention of airsoft skirmishes just at a high-power?

It's a shame that airsoft doesn't just get a set of legal joule limits or an 6mm/8mm ammo restriction that deems airsoft definitively different from air guns.
                    Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                    big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
                      Just gonna throw some fun in the mix;

If you had an airsoft gun that you modded to do 900fps full-auto and you played with a few mates in a field that were fine with this, since that is an airsoft skirmish (although not insured), could it be still considered an airsoft gun as the gun was made for the intention of airsoft skirmishes just at a high-power?

It's a shame that airsoft doesn't just get a set of legal joule limits or an 6mm/8mm ammo restriction that deems airsoft definitively different from air guns.
                      I doubt picking plastic pellets out of your skin is going to be labelled as "fun"! :P

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

spaspeckerthedull Find out more about spaspeckerthedull
                      Working...
                      X