Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR-25 Project

Hi guys and girls

Been looking around the forum for awhile now and have really enjoyed looking at the various projects members have been posting about so thought i'd write my own and share my project and a bit of help if anyone wants to share, anyway here it goes.

So to start this build I purchased an A&K SR-25 body from a member here, this came with a gearbox casing and selector plate. The body seems to be decent quality and fits well for this project. The main problem facing this is that the body came without body pins, fire selector etc. So I have gotten a quote from G&G to sort out body pins as M4/M16 aren't long enough.

I ordered various parts from Asia yesterday so I expect they'll arrive here in a week or two. The Parts ordered are:

LaRue 13.2" RIS
    G&P 120rd Magazine
    G&G nano-tech piston (very hard to source)
    G&P Piston head
    SHS Cylinder
    G&P cylinder head
    SHS high speed gears
    6mm Prometheus bearings
    Classic Army tappet plate
    SHS switch assembly
    SHS gearbox spring set
    Vortex bearing spring guide
    5KU SR-25 air nozzle

The A&K version uses a version 2.5 gearbox, basically an elongated version 2. This means a proprietary Piston, Cylinder, Sector gear, Tappet plate and nozzle are needed. The rest are version 2. I am unsure about the spring- I believe a PSG style spring is needed but I am unsure, if a member here could confirm I'd be very grateful.

The body has the gun locked to semi already which I intend to keep as I prefer semi personally- I will be using an M90 spring to achieve just under 328fps with a .2g BB. This is due to a 1J law here in Dublin. I also have used high speed gears and want to keep this a high speed set up as I like a fast, crisp trigger response- This is a preference and not at all a necessity.

Parts I will need to order over the coming weeks include:
    M90 spring- still unsure if standard or not
    G&P M120 motor
    Set of gearbox screws
    6" barrel extension or a 16" barrel
    Scar style flash hider with QD mock suppresor
    Gas block- haven't decided which yet
    Harris style bipod
    Body parts from G&G

I already have a few spare parts I will be using, such as MOE pistol grip, CTR stock, stubby foregrip etc
    I also have not decided on my optic set-up. I was considering an Aimoint comp2 style with a 3x magnifier or running with a Leupold style scope- opinions appreciated.

I will update with pictures as this progresses, If you have any questions or opinions please feel free to share.
    Cheers,
    J.

Re: SR-25 Project

Nearly forgot about this thread, at this stage the project is about 80% done so i'll fill in what's happened so far.
    The process of the build has proved expensive so progress has been slow however the gearbox is now completed, working with the V2.5 gearbox I have used:

A&K Shell
    Prometheus 7mm bearings
    Vortex metal bearing spring guide
    SHS M90 spring (due to fps limits here)
    G&G Nano tech piston
    VFC piston head
    SHS Cylinder
    5KU double air seal cylinder head
    5KU Air nozzle
    Classic army tappet plate
    SHS SR-25 gearset
    Element steel trigger
    Element Switch assembly
    High quality wiring
    Load of SHS parts for springs, screws etc

I'm waiting on my G&P M120 motor in the post now but had a test fire with a borrowed motor and the trigger response is exactly as I wanted it, quick snappy and ready for a follow up shot.

The hop-up assembly is a G&P chamber with a guarder clear rubber and nub but I haven't bought the barrel yet, I've been considering the Madbull range for price and generally they have proved well for me in the past. If anybody has any suggestions or comments on the barrel I'd appreciate it.

From the internals I've expected the best with the prices I've been paying and from inspection and comparison to previous work I've done one thing I have to add is the quality of the SHS gearset, really a strong tidy looking gearset at a pretty decent price too. I'll comment on the externals next week when the last few parts should be here.
    Anyway, cheers for reading and if you have any questions let me know.
    J.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Unknown1 Find out more about Unknown1
    Working...
    X