Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Gustav M/45 (Swedish K) Build

Hi guys,

Inspired by a love of Vietnam airsoft and building guns, Matt (Wolfman) and I decided to make an M/45 for games where we play SOG/SF as a unique change to the usual mix of Armalites and Kalashnikovs. As a bonus this build is being entered to a build competition .

For anyone who doesn't know what a "K" is here's the wiki page on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_M45

From a technical aspect the build will be steel where we can and some ali/brass will be used where either steel cannot be used due to tooling limitation or it will not be seen, like internal structures. All steel parts will be hot/niter blued or possibly pakerized if I can get some manganese phosphate ordered in. A lot of K's were painted green but whats the point using steel if you can't show it off!

Mechanically it'll run a V7 box with custom cylinder head and feed from MP40 mags. Hop will most likely be an AK one. this'll be a full auto only affair with mosfet/micro switch trigger.

Righty ho on to the pictures. (let's be honest you never read the words)

Receiver

From this..

to this

Barrel Nut

Still a WIP needs final bit of lathing and texturing

Heat shield

Drilled and hot blued. Still need's cutting to length

Barrel

Turned down to correct diameter and test blued. still needs cutting and further lathing

More to come.....

Re: Carl Gustav M/45 (Swedish K) Build

Parts and diagram

Barrel/heat shield joint

It'll make more sense as the build goes on. You'll see!

Wolfman on the tools

Barrel Nut and Front sight guard

The nut is now drilled and turned to the right size. Still need to texture and blue it.

Heat Shield and Front Sight Guard

Comments welcome

Dave and Matt

Comment

Awesome! Looks like you're taking care over it, wish I had the time/machinery to start a project like this...

Good luck to you mate- can't wait to see it progress!!!!!
      Originally posted by Walter Gropius
      If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

And some more pics

Brass thingy

In place.

Relatively rough finish on these parts as they are mostly obscured by the heat shield.

Sight guards

Me on the tools.

Still very novice at all the big boy stuff.

Managed to get the armourers manual for the K but it's all in swedish. Good for ref pics tho.

Ta

Dave and Matt

Comment

I bow to the awesomeness that it this build! (don't forget to post a link to the comp! I'll vote!)

Comment

that looks the mutts nuts fella, but wouldnt using thompson mags be easier and more realistic to use maybe?

Comment

Simply awesome chaps! I'm doing a little bit of machining in the workshop on my AK later this week, but I wish I had enough access to lathes etc to produce entire AEGs!
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Thanks guys,

Going with the MP40 mags as the real K was 9mm and the dimensions are similar. Trying to get in the work shop for an hour or two each thursday. We're lucky enough to be lab techs at a college with access to CNC lathes and mill (although we're avoiding CNC for this one) Laser cutter, two lathes and two mills, as well as full wood shop and blacksmithing gear. Not that we have a clue how to half of that!

More pics tomorrow

Comment

Very impressive mate.
                  I wouldn't have a clue how to go about something as detailed as this.
                  Another vote from me if you publish the competition details here.

Comment

May not be allowed as it's on Mr Schwarzenegger's airsoft forum and I doubt the mods would like me linking to it.

Thanks for the kind words though

Comment

Update and pics!

Barrel nut knurled

Front end

Outer barrel grub screwed into Brass barrel collar. Then the heat shield hammered into place. This thing is ROCK SOLID!

another shot

Barrel has been blued now and so have the sights (pics to follow) Also made a start on the cocking handle and fake bolt.

Make a start on the lower receiver next week and start fitting the internals soon. Just gotta make a a custom motor cage and cylinder head for the V7 gearbox.

Comments welcome

Dave and Matt

Comment

Blued some bits today. Everyone loves blued steel so here's some pics...

Front sight guard

Barrel assembly

Mocked up

Going with the factory style OD paint job but with a severe "jungle wear" and basicaly remove over 50% of it to reveal the sexy blue steel.

Regards

Dave

Comment

Shall be watching this very closely. Massive well done this far chaps
                          “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

You guys have inspired me to have a look at designing a couple of RIFS and having a crack at them - this is sterling work

How are you bluing the steel?
                            Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Currently hot blueing using a bunsen burner on working flame. Smaller bits are "niter blued" that involves boiling in ammonium nitrate and potassium nitrate mix.

Gotta love working in a lab!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

kalashnikov_kid Gunsmith and team leader of the Infidels Find out more about kalashnikov_kid
                              Working...
                              X