Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having problems with propane

Hi Guys

Ive got all the kit now to refill my propane tanks but they just dont refill.

Items i have
    3.9 kg calor tank
    colmans tanks
    maccoupler

i place colmans in freezer for a while then place on calor tank and turn upside down , open the valve and i get hardly anything refilled.
    defo no liquid is going in the colmans tank.

what am i doing wrong

Thanks
    Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Only thing I can see from that is that you need to have the large bottle quite warm.
    And I'm sure it needs to be on for 1min exactly.

Out of interest how did you get the colemans canister on a 3.9kg calor bottle?

Comment

Re: having problems with propane

Originally posted by tisane View Post
      Only thing I can see from that is that you need to have the large bottle quite warm.
      And I'm sure it needs to be on for 1min exactly.

Out of interest how did you get the colemans canister on a 3.9kg calor bottle?
      ive warmed the calor gas bottle in some warm water aswell. But the problem i think im having is i put the mac coupler on and it releases the gas from the colmans but as soon as i put it on the calor gas bottle its like it closes and wont let any into it. i tried pulling the little gas release valve while trying to fill it but nothing comes out so its not going in . hmm im stumped.

i use an extention coupler on the calor gas bottle then fit the mac coupler on the end of that so it has enough clearance to fit on

Comment

Tighten the mac coupler down onto the feed tank first (use a spanner).

Then cool your propane receptacle down (my personal fave method is to freeze the tank for 30 minutes or so then press the valve and let some of the remaining gas in it boil off ==subzero tank (probably not good on the thermal shocks front mind).

Screw the receptacle onto the coupler.

Flip upside down

Open valve.

Close after 1 minute.

If the above sequence (when followed exactly) doesnt give you a full propane tank, then you need to see how full your big cylinder is - is it brand new? does gas come out without the mac coupler attached? Does gas come out with the mac coupler attached?
        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Ahhhh I think that's your problem.

On the Colemans end of the coupler it has a "nipple" for want of a better word similar to that.
          If your extension hasn't got the same thing on the Colemans end then its going to be near impossible, if not impossible to fill the Colemans canister.

Comment

Ye i have the same thing . my extention just just a male to female fitting so one end fits the calor tank and the other end is where the mac coupler goes which then goes on the colmans tank which inside just has a push pressure valve.

ive done all of the above and still nothing even eneter the colmans tank and the calor tank is full and new.

im starting to wonder if they fitted and none return valve inside the colmans tanks to stop them being refilled as gas comes out with the mac coupler on. so odd

Comment

i read somewhere that you have to depressurise the canister you're filling as it's being filled.
              (so press the secondary release valve in) This lets off the gas and allows more liquid to enter.

So basically hook it all up (warm fill canister) (very cold canister to be filled)
              release the liquid from the large one into the smaller
              then press the secondary release valve on the smaller canister... this lets off some of the gas (because you don't want gas in your canister only liquid)

be careful doing this as the propane that escapes is really cold and obviously flammable.

there's defo a howto for this somewhere

Edit:

it's mentioned here: http://www.navagear.com/2009/08/27/h...ane-cylinders/

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

Don't you have to pul up on the relief valve on the Colemans canister?

http://youtu.be/9Q2Jhbbmnos

A "how to" for you but it isn't rocket science as you know yourself.
                The only thing different from all the vids and tutorials on the net is your extension part, but I really can't see that being a problem.

Comment

This is what i dont understand ive done everything the way its ment to be done but zero gas is going in the colmans.

ill try take a short vis to show what i mean brb

Comment

Ok ive done a quick vid . excuse the dirty hands and floor ive been in and out of shed its driving me mad

Comment

As an update it seems the new Black coleman Cylinders have a non return valve inside.

I fixed it by using a cycle valve remover to take out the valve then drill a hole into the tank which goes through the non return valve and making it refillable.

All sorted i happy again . thank you all who replied to try and help

Comment

That's interesting mate as I have a few of the new black cylinders stored up ready for when I can be arsed to buy a new coupler.

Comment

Originally posted by tisane View Post
                          That's interesting mate as I have a few of the new black cylinders stored up ready for when I can be arsed to buy a new coupler.
                          ye im glad i got there in the end . but now i can also put silicon in the tank before filling instead of having to fanny about putting it in the ai adaptor etc.

to remove the valve just pop out the white plastic ring and the o ring under it then unscrew the valve put silicone in put it all back and sorted . even makes the smell less

Comment

That's a neat idea Mirlock - so far I havent depressurised my small tanks when filling them (and tbh I'd rather leave it that way), all I'd say is be careful of the tanks after youve drilled through the non return valve - could get messy if one ruptures!
                            Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mirlock Find out more about mirlock
                            Working...
                            X