Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Best/recommended wiring type for high discharge LiPo batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/recommended wiring type for high discharge LiPo batteries?

Seeing as this is the general tech questions place, so to speak, I have a question regarding high discharge LiPo batteries:

What would be the best kind of wiring for a high discharge LiPo, 7.4v, 33c discharge rate?

The reason I'm asking, is because a team buddy of mine was running his TM PSG-1 with a similar battery, but running at 11.1v, and the result was, the wiring ended up completely oxidised, which then required a complete replacement of the wiring.

Naturally, I would like to avoid replacing the wires in my M16 more than once, and just do it only the once, so I can continue using the battery I bought with it, in the long term.
    Rocking out... With my Heckler & Koch out...!

Legion 412

Re: Best/recommended wiring type for high discharge LiPo batteries?

16AWG silicone. That's more than likely what's already on the battery.
    14AWG is better, but it might not fit ( smaller AWG number = bigger wire).

The silicone is the insulator material. It's flexible and temperature-resistant.

Also, if you're rewiring anyway, fit a simple MOSFET.

Comment

yea +1, i can fit well... sqeeze 14 awg into my m4, required a little pokery with filling,polishing glue and all the other stuff to get the wiring in but it made a massive difference.

Comment

PTFE coated 14awg is the same diameter as silicone coated 16awg a fair bit stiffer though
        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

The silicone is more compressible, too.

Comment

I always recommend PVC or Teflon because the insulating sleeves are lower profile than the silicone equivalents.
            Silicone may be mega flexible, but the sleeving is very poorly suited to airsoft due to the sharp areas in the gearbox, silicone tears and cuts very easily. PVC and Teflon have proven them selves better suited.

It just seems to be what ever everyone else is doing, and silicone has been the trend for the past few years. Its important not to forget that many people are choosing the increasingly popular high speed motors that are utilizing neodymium magnets which are hungry for amps especially when paired with low ratio gear sets and 16AWG doesn't cut it like it used to. With similar OD to 16AWG silicone you can get 14 in there. People really need to be keeping electrical as efficient as possible, if your wiring is getting hot, that is power that should be getting to the motor being wasted as heat.

14AWG Teflon - 2.9mm O.D - 32 Amps Sustainable
            16AWG Silicone - 3.05mm O.D - 22 Amps Sustainable

It's not to say that everyone should be going for 14 gauge, because you may not need it. However, if you have fitted a FET for the purpose of resistance and not over looked the wiring and all connectors then 14/16 would be beneficial.
            dsgdreamteam

Comment

Sniperjesus - i cant find sensible lengths of PTFE coated 14awg ANYWHERE though
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Try searching for the euro size of wire since AWG is an american measurement.

Try here for a size table
                http://www.canford.co.uk/technical/P...quivalents.pdf

I found 16 awg PTFE coated silver plated on ebay which i currently have in my G&P

However there is a site out there that sells 28/0.3 PTFE copper stranded wire which they label as 15 AWG at 36p a meter try searching for

Red . . . 2.0 mm˛ Thinwall Multi Stranded Automotive Cable / Wire

If its any good? I Dont know am no wizard on this stuff or under stand the first thing about electronics!

The 19/0.3 PTFE silver plated wire in my gun at the moment works great on a 9.6v crane stock battery with a stranded G&P gearbox, and in less someone in the know tells me i will gain something by uprading the wire am not going to bother.

The PTFE covering is really stiff and tough to cut plus i have plenty of room in my gear box along with the 3rd wire for the mosfet!

Hope this helps!
                sigpic

"The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
                - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

L3w151988 A craft beer drinking, occasional scruffy beard-growing, airsofter from London, living in Kent. Find out more about L3w151988
                Working...
                X