Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: custom made parts question

Originally posted by fucoffee View Post
    outer barrels i can machine , all you need is a lathe and a set of long series drills, ive made two full steel barrels with ccw 14mm x1 threaded ends to fit most flashhiders and suppressors. however it takes some time but it can be done
    But how long?
    Standard 9mm drill bits can go 6 inches (3 from each end).

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
      But how long?
      Standard 9mm drill bits can go 6 inches (3 from each end).
      Use non-standard drills. I've got a couple of 12" lathe drill bits in assorted sizes, so I could theoretically do a nadge under 24".

Comment

I've used long series drill bits before - i wouldnt vouch for them not wandering at that depth though - it's not something I know enough about to go either way on. I didnt have any wandering when I drilled out my 203 nades, they were 10:1 aspect ratio holes using long series drill bits.
        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

i'm sure in the old workshop at my old work we had a boring machine that could do 2 foot lengths, cant remember the name of that machine for the life of me though!
          Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

iht Well using the lathes at my work and the long series drills I had to hand I managed to machine a full m4a1 barrel by drilling from both ends, got them to match up fairly well and my inner barrel slid through there like cake

Comment

Originally posted by bob86 View Post
              i'm sure in the old workshop at my old work we had a boring machine that could do 2 foot lengths, cant remember the name of that machine for the life of me though!
              Probably a gun drill.

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                Probably a gun drill.
                well they didnt call it that, and it was in a day w/shop in a factory
                Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

Originally posted by fucoffee View Post
                  outer barrels i can machine , all you need is a lathe and a set of long series drills, ive made two full steel barrels with ccw 14mm x1 threaded ends to fit most flashhiders and suppressors. however it takes some time but it can be done
                  you mean like this, :p
                  Attached Files

Comment

I assume he was referring to drilling the bore taking time, rather than threading the outer.

Threading takes very little time if, like me, you have M14 x 1mm dies in both CW and CCW.

Comment

When I say machine an outter barrel I mean a full m4a1 barrel from steel to real steal dimensions to fit an aeg body, used a long series drill to remove the material for the inner barrel the threads can be done cheap as chips I can get the dies for around £10 a go they last a while with ally copper and brass but steel or titanium it doesn't last long at all

Comment

It's easier to convert say, a standard AEG tightbore to whatever other application you want rather than making a whole barrel. Only differences between AEG/GBB/Pumpspring are the slots and holes at the Hop end. I just made a trial 60mm longer barrel for my Maruzen Scorpion out of an AEG offcut and got 40FPS increase.

SAS

Comment

A gun drill would be needed. A "long series" drill bit would still be too short to go through an M4-length barrel, even drilling from both ends.

The cheap dies are carbon steel, so they're harder than aluminium, copper, etc. but it's 50/50 WRT steel, and even high speed steel has problems with titanium.

Comment

Not of you make the barrel in two parts and join them together with some awesomeness called friction welding bless my work for allowing me to do so :p
                            I know ive chewed through a HSS drill bit today making a new piston for my boltie, I had a work mate weld me some billet 7081 ally to some titanium and I forgot to anneal the damn thing! Where the weld was the titanium is like glass and ive still got 5 mm to drill -_- needless to say ill have a damn good piston when im done.... Now just to make some sears that will last as long :')

Comment

Ahh, well if we're playing the "not using tools & materials available to most people" game then of course it's easy to make a 20" SPR barrel, I just ring up uni and send them a CAD drawing of one to 3d print out of nickel superalloy...

You definitely did imply that you just started with a bar and drilled from both ends though :P
                              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

okay my bad :P ill re instate my comment by saying i started with two section of billet drilled from both ends of each , then got them friction welded together , finally turning down the external diameter.
                                i guess you could say i cheated a little but heck it worked :P
                                same with the piston im making the titanium i have welded to the aircraft ally is well and truly "fused" that shits staying. i tested it friday on a 600 fps spring .... broke the sear so i think stock sears definitely are not up to the mark for titanium and such a strong spring :P

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

god84 Find out more about god84
                                Working...
                                X