Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTFE/Thread Seal tape, add it to the tool box

Hi guys,

Just been servicing a few knackered guns and have found this tape very useful.

Its designed to sit over the threads of PVC pipe joints so that they form an airtight seal. However, as it's an ultraflat, strong, waterproof and flexible tape, it's helped me fix a few issues that JB weld/electical tape have been unable to.

1: I've used it in layers to hold the swing-out cylinder arm for my Dan Wesson to the frame. It had previously snapped after being dropped and hasn't been the same since. By building up layers, it now swivels freely but is held inside the frame securely by friction.

2: I've use it to slightly enlarge screws for an ancient TM FAMAS. This thing had been taken apart so many times that the plastic screw guides had been crossthreaded and warped. By wrapping this ultra-fine tape around the screws, they now fit the holes perfectly as the tape still keeps the contours of the screws but enlarges them enough to engage the threading. My FAMAS lives on.

3. I've wrapped it 'barber-pole' style around the inner and outer barrel of my M4, in order to reduce vibration. Although the fit is very very snug, the barrel can still be removed but vibration has been drastically reduced, providing a small accuracy increase and extra stability.

Just thought i'd share, never really thought to use it for airsoft before but will be keeping a roll handy from now on.

if you've never come across it before, here's a video of it being put to its intended use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65i2vGWi3AE

Hope this helps someone.

Re: PTFE/Thread Seal tape, add it to the tool box

Quite commonly used in airsmithing. I would tend to use it to improve airseals at the cylinder head and the hopup.
    Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
    Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

I've used ptfe tape in conjunction with the dental floss method of tying the hop bucking and then wrapped the hop to the end of the barrel. I haven't had chance to chrono it but I'm sure it's gone up a few fps and feels more stable and less rattley. Seeing as it's normally about a quid I think everyone should get some
      Upcoming Games:
      None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
      Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

it is commonly used. but often the correct O-ring or correct part will be a more longterm fix.
        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

ptfe is god
          The Gear Box Destroyer

Comment

Originally posted by Stones View Post
            ptfe is god
            Indeed, I have used it to make my fps for consistent on my AK by wrapping it under the piston O ring (been told that this is a bad thing but it hasent effected my guns performance) and have used it to stop Delta ring wobble
            Hate.
            "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his

General George S.patton

Dboys AK74U with Samson rail (y)

Comment

Have it taking up the airgaps in my M4 hop unit, taking up the wobble between inner barrel and outer barrel, so on and so forth. Amazing stuff :D
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Glad to see i'm not the only one who's used it, anyone got any other unusual materials they use in 'airsmithing'?

Comment

been in my tool box for years.
                  100% air seal

Comment

Been using it to fix stuff for decades... it is awesome - especially if you own any form of gas gun.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

flakjack Find out more about flakjack
                    Working...
                    X