I can't refill this propane bottle?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't refill this propane bottle?!

Hi guys, refilling my first propane bottle today.

It's a rothenburger one, with a calor 13jg bottle. The exact same setup a friend or two uses.

I've followed all the instructions, and connected it all as advised, but when I open the valve to let the propane in, nothing happens at all. It's very puzzling.

Does anyone know what is the problem? I know the rothenburger one is empty, I emptied it myself. The calor bottle lets out gas when I open the valve ever so slightly, with the adapter screwed on, but no bottle attached.

So for whatever reason, gas is just not getting into the bottle. Where am I going wrong?

Re: I can't refill this propane bottle?!

Is the empty bottle chilled at all?

Is there enough drop for the (liquid) propane to flow in?
    Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
    Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Well I skipped the freezing step, and simply emptied the last drizzle of gas slowly from the bottle. By the time it was done it was frozen all over and giving off evaporating fumes from the bottle itself, so I thought that would be cold enough!

It's gone back in the freezer for an hour as I've been trying with this for so long now it's warmed back up again!

Comment

I don't know if its the same with yours mate but another user on here trying to fill Colemans tanks has found that they have started fitting non return valves in the cylinders.
        If your getting nothing at all into the small tank that could be your problem.

Also alongside chilling the small tank are your warming the larger one?

Comment

Shitting hell that would be a pain, money down the drain much! Gah.

It's a rothenburger bottle though. The colemans one is too far so I can't get it close to the adapter right now!

The cylinder is in the greenhouse right now warming up. Ill see if that helps

Comment

Do you have the big calor cylinder turned upside down

Comment

Yup!

Comment

Sounds like youve got an anti-fill valve in the smaller tank! I can't remember who it was on here, but they found a way to unscrew the release valve, drill out the non return valve and reinstall the release valve...
                Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Hmmm thats odd! Its exactly the same bottle as a few team mates use

Ive got a colemans cannister, but need an adapter to connect it as the two bottles are too fat to screw together.

Bloody hell this was supposed to save me cash!

Comment

yeah, the new colemans look exactly the same as well :/

Comment

do they not refill either?!?!

Comment

Nope but at £6.99 if you know where to look they're still a lot cheaper than abbey etc.
                        Originally posted by tackle
                        For the haters who feel that bamf, & others, are picking on you, GROW THE FUCK UP, their actually trying to stop you destroying our sport or having even more draconian measures foisted upon us.

Comment

The older very dark green cylinders are not fitted with the non return valves, its the black ones that are it appears.

And to the above £6.99 per Colemans or 50p to £1 for a refill

Just stripped my Black Colemans cylinder down and indeed there is 100% a non return valve in it, can't take a picture of it due to the small hole and the fact that its 1' into that hole but its a blue ball type thing.
                          I couldn't blow past it into the cylinder, however after hammering a screwdriver into it (don't have the right size drill to hand) I can now blow into the cylinder quite easily

Shame I knackered the release valve upon removal
                          Last edited by tisane; 17 March, 2013, 23:22.

Comment

My black ones dont have non return valves, filled them five or six times

Comment

Well its easy to test, simply remove the flow valve and try to blow into the cylinder.

A valve removal tool will be needed though if you don't want to knacker it.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                              Working...
                              X