Gearbox Confidence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Confidence...

Do you feel that you could take a gearbox, say from a M4/M16 apart and upgrade anything inside, and finally put it back together again?

Just wondering how meany people could do this without getting someone like ZeroOne to do it for them.
    Yes-i could upgrade any part
    51.79%
    Maybe with a bit of help from a mate
    38.39%
    No- i would get ZeroOne to do it?
    9.82%

The poll is expired.

Re: Gearbox Confidence...

Bit of a random question, lol.

All comes with practice. First time I opened up a gearbox, nearly died & took forever. Now am replacing broken parts on my parcel shelf in the safe zone during the day :D

So yes :p

Comment

Yup, can do a V2 GBX and an M4/M16 in no time at all. First time was quite nerve-wracking, but once you've done it your confidence soon grows....

Next learning curve for me is the PTW - being an expensive gun I dont want to ruin it, so I'm leaving the mechbox well alone for the time being. The hop though is really easy to work with - much easier than the hop on an AEG I find.
      WE G39C GBB | ARES G36K EBB

Comment

Ditto ^

There's still times even with the more common gearboxes, when I put them back together and I think something's not quite right.

I am the fortunate one who looks at most of our guns at our site if they have a problem and sometimes it's shocking looking at the lubrication etc, and wondering how it actually works and when you put it back together is it going to work the same.

My first gearbox to work on was the ICS Split design - easy. Then it was the Version 6 - even easier. Then I noticed how much of a bitch the likes of the V3 (and others) can be, and don't get me started on M14's.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

i do the repairs for two sites i go to. I will also say m14 mechbox - bit of a bugger to say the least!
          WANTED
          Mid cap mp5 mags
          s-arms m4 mags
          motorola & kenwood commercial radios

Comment

NO i tried taking apart my m4 gearbox well it broke lol

Comment

Just me that takes them apart for fun then! :D

Comment

Hehe, when I get new rifles or what have you, I'm always end up thinking... "I'm bored honey, I'll disassemble this gun to keep me on my toes!"

Now often that can lead to breaking or just not really going back in. (Ie, when I changed my charging handle on the masada from the left hand side to the right. Oops).

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

First thing I do when I buy a second hand gun is take it apart. Sometimes before I have put the wrappings in the bin.

Unless for a specific reason I leave new guns alone until something goes.

It is always worth having a go it's not rocket science, although a collection of spares does make life easier, and if you end up with a bag of bit's and no idea what to do then for a small fee I will gladly breath life into them again.:D:D:D

Comment

when you pay ..... for a gun i personally no if i take it apart and loose a bit, i will be gutted, so i would rather take it to a shop get them to do it and it has a warranty on what they have don all sorted !

Comment

Generally speaking I'm alright, come from just being near Keeper of Secrets and Rockdelta whilst they rant about technical stuff. Being witness to these talks meant that I knew how to fix a broken AK piston, without actually ever seeing the inside of a gearbox before. True Story. That said Im no technical fool, but Im not exactly a qualified engineer. That said Ive had an AK on my shelf for three months awaiting the parts, I just cant be bothered to buy them right now!
                      G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
                      RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by GH0ST View Post
                        when you pay ..... for a gun i personally no if i take it apart and loose a bit, i will be gutted, so i would rather take it to a shop get them to do it and it has a warranty on what they have don all sorted !
                        Ahh! Then you didn't see the famous "they used strawberry f*ck*ng jam as gear grease" thread on Mr Schwarzenegger's favorite forum...:eek:

Comment

Up to recently, I've stuck with cheapish second hand guns, so I've not really had any choice.

I bought a d-boys M4 that was being sold as broken and replaced what was needed. That was quite a steep learning curve, but very good practice. Again, fixing a leaking gas shotty was good fun, but worrying as I took the gas reservoir to pieces.

Trying to solve a low fps problem on it before selling it, though, I just couldn't get it to go back together without something (most times the AR latch) slipping out of place before it was all screwed back together. I think I must have closed and opened the box about a dozen times because it either didn't fire at all, or only fired a couple of times before locking. In the end, I got it firing perfectly on auto, but not on semi. At that point I knocked 20 quid of the asking price and sold it as a box load of bits!
                          sigpic

Comment

I can disassemble most guns, - apart from PTWs and the annoying M14s, - they're a pain in the bum, I personally wouldn't touch them with a 50 ft pole.

I could tell if the gun needs re-shimming and motor height or a change of bits and bobs, the works.
                            Although, not too sure with myself with GBBs, never really worked with 'em.

Comment

no, the techy at my site does it, for free, normally including parts too

frankly i dont bother with upgrades, most guns i own are PTWs or bought second hand and were allready upgraded

if they break i know enough people i can just walk over to, gun bits in my hand, tears down my face and they sombrely nod their head and take my broken weapon off me
                              |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

nick Find out more about nick
                              Working...
                              X