Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kydex Mag inserts

So...

I have a Warrior Centurion chest rig (the one with 8 inbuilt M4 pouches) and I'm getting annoyed at how they hang and sag when they don't have a mag in. To solve this I've got some sheets of kydex and strong velcro to make some inserts.

What do you think the best way to go about designing them is?

I was thinking either:

An insert with stiff side walls and the front face bent inwards with a kink to provide retention

Or an insert with no sidewalls, just one strip of Kydex folded in half with a kink to act as a spring and keep the pocket open.

Which do you thinks going to work best seeing that I just want to make sure the pocket remains the same size whether or not I have a mag in it.

Re: Kydex Mag inserts

The easiest is using some kydex the width of the mags, use a hairdryer to heat it up and fold around the bottom of your mag. You need to make them long enough so when inserted into the pouch the front is just below the pouch top, the back can be higher and split into 2 so the slip under the molle above the pouch area.
    As far as retention goes, the best in your use is to curve the rearward facing section so your mag pushes against it under spring tension.

Comment

Got some kydex in the mail and set about the task, this is what I came up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGjBuAljCwg

Comment

Very well done pal
        “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

Or you could just use the Velcro lol, nice job mate, retention looks very good too. Top job

Comment

Next plan. I'm going to make a mold rather than doing it freehand. Grab a block of wood cut it in half with the necessary pattern, then heating and clamping the kydex between it should give a much more professional result. Will post pics of progress!

Comment

I look forward to seeing how you get on with this, I think it might be worth doing the same to my Flyye WSH rig so that it doesnt flap about when unloaded!
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

The main problem I have with this chestrig is that essentially the front molle hangs off of the mag pouches which have bungie chords. With no mag in and the bungie chord not stretched it just tends to flap about in front, especially if I've got something heavy like a small gas can there.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone1B View Post
                  Next plan. I'm going to make a mold rather than doing it freehand. Grab a block of wood cut it in half with the necessary pattern, then heating and clamping the kydex between it should give a much more professional result. Will post pics of progress!
                  one of the ways they do it for knife sheaths (and I assume other stuff aswell) is have two sheets of wood with foam glued to them (rollmat foam works). kydex either gets loosely folded over the item (knife, magazine, gun etc), or two peices are used, one each side of the item. Then the two sheets of foam covered wood go either side, and are clamped down as a sort of press.
                  the advantage of the foam is that it returns to the flat state, so you don't have to have a dedicated block of wood for each different design you make.
                  Not actually a builder
                  Not actually called Bob.

Comment

Finished my first 6, these were all done free-hand without a mould. They work alright but don't have the most professional of feels or the most uniform of tensions, they still make the chest rig much much easier to use.

I've got 2 sheets of kydex left which will make another 6, I might have a more professional go at it.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Clone1B Find out more about Clone1B
                    Working...
                    X