Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Is my radio license free and ok to use for airsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my radio license free and ok to use for airsoft?

Hi all,
    I have been given a used radio and before i buy the relevant accessories I want to know if I am actually legally allowed to use it for airsoft. I'm not really sure what im searching for so perhaps someone with a little more knowledge might be able to help.
    Its a Motorola GP360.

Additionally, would i need to buy another matching radio for my teamate or could i use this together with my basic 8-channel motorola talkabout?

Many thanks

Keith
    sigpic

Re: Is my radio license free and ok to use for airsoft?

Do you know if its UHF or VHF and is it on the pmr 446 range that's a start

Comment

It's UHF and VHF, not sure about PMR. I'll try and have a look.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes, looks like it is PMR446.
        sigpic

Comment

That's a legal band. Your mate shouldn't need the same radio, as 446 is the standard 8 channel band in use with civvy PMRs, so unless his is not 446 then you'll have no worries.

EDIT: upon reading the specs on the Motorola specsheet, you can't use the radio without a license as it is multiband, it includes 446 in its spectrum but also has 136-174 MHz and 403-470 MHz full bands.

So you have a decision to make lol!
          Originally posted by Walter Gropius
          If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Some radios use frequency rather than channel. This should help;

1 446.00625
            2 446.01875
            3 446.03125
            4 446.04375
            5 446.05625
            6 446.06875
            7 446.08125
            8 446.09375
            Sub channels can be set on frequency only radios by adjusting CTCSS, just so you're aware.

From 2012, all PMR446 radios should be limited to 180 seconds of maximum transmitting time. Radios may now have removable antennae as long as the ERP does not exceed 500mW. (Otherwise you are breaking the law)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446
            King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
            https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
            www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

theyre too powerful also, i have six GP340s i cant use as theyre far too powerful.
              -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
              -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

PMR446 license free, the band most Airsofters use, so you and your mate will be fine. PMR radios are 10 to a penny and all work with each other.
                section 24 of the 1968 Act
                Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

the most power you can use licence free is 500mW, the lowest setting on the GPs is 1W (1000mW) up to 5W (5000mW)

Comment

Thanks for your help all. I'm more confused than before, is this essentially a grey area?
                    sigpic

Comment

no. theyre too powerful. full stop really. just the way it is.

Comment

Not a grey area, the radio is too powerful (can access a larger range of frequencies) so you need a license to operate it. Either get a license or get a different radio that is restricted to the 446 frequency. Unless you are involving aircraft and boats a few km away in your airsoft games then dual band radios are overkill...
                        Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                        If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Gotta love this forum sometimes, mountains and molehills.

After some google, the gp360 isn't a PMR at all.

However in amongst all the techno babble here, PMR radios are cheap and easy to source, Motorola also do a good line of 446 band radios.
                          XTN446, XTNi446, XTNiD446, many others like the talkabout series as well.
                          Your radio is the sort of things the marshals would use, bouncers, security guards etc
                          section 24 of the 1968 Act
                          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Cheers everyone, appreciate the replies. The situation is I have a Devgru throat mic with Motorola Talkabout which dont seem compatible together (an issue ive raised on a different thread) so i had the GP360 lying around and wanted to see if it was a viable option. It seems like it is but and option with a bit of caution.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's ILLEGAL to use it on the PMR446 frequencies because its minimum output power is over 500mW (0.5W).
                              To use it on another frequency, you'd need a licence from Ofcom. You CANNOT get a licence to use more power on PMR446 frequencies.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sonicninja Find out more about sonicninja
                              Working...
                              X