Damaged thread on barrel-PBS silencer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged thread on barrel-PBS silencer

Hey all, the thread on my new ak74u's barrel has gotten rounded and stripped so much that it won't take my PBS (big ass ak metal) silencer, it's my mates and hes been running the silencer on it but I can't get it to mate as its got so much play now and won't tighten up.

What are my options do you all think.

I could get a new outer barrel but that's hard to source, can I get another inner barrel section for the PBS (it's removable) that's maybe smaller thread wise

Re: Damaged thread on barrel-PBS silencer

Iv just wrapped loads of ptfe tape around the male thread and it's holding, not a permanent fix though...any ideas?

Comment

Industrial strength super glue. Obviously only go down this route, if you never want to remove it. As this glue is nearly impossible to breech

Comment

Yeah didn't fancy doing that really, I thought about buying an adapter, grinding it down and glueing that in to the silencer, at lest that way I can remove the silencer front the outer barrel.

Can you by outer barrels for cyma 744u's (or if they take others)?

Comment

Can you remove the outer barrel?

An engineering firm should ne able to turn down more of the barrel and re-thread it. You may lose a little overall length but unless you put it next to another gun nobody will tell.

It should cost you about £20 if done as a favour.

Alternatively, sell me the silencer.

Comment

Haha nice try Loki

If I were to get an engineering firm to cut a new thread I would end up with a narrower thread width and nothing would fit it though, I would then need to add a thread epoxy and cut new threads into the silencer and flash hider... It is an option I guess, this far I haven't found anywhere that sells the parts so I don't have a lot of choice

Comment

What model of Cyma Ak is it? A fair few of them have the threads moulded into the gas-block/front sight, so you just need to replace that.
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

I don't mean cut a narrower dimension thread. I mean hack saw off the damaged portion and get them to start again if there is sufficient room.

If not... THORTEX is your friend. They make may composites but you want the chemical metal type. It mixes like Araldite glue as a 2 part mix. Once set it will stick diarrhoea to a waterfall and it has the same engineering qualities as metal. You can file it, drill it, saw it but more importantly for you, you will be able to cut threads into it.

I am back in the UK at the end of the month so if you are still stuck i will bring it with me.

Comment

Cheers guys

I had wondered if the end of the barrel was attached to the the sight and gas block, it's a 74u other than that I'm not sure ill check it out and see if its a gas block replacement needed.

Cheers Loki ill look into that and see if I can source it, iv used chemical metal before but this stuff sounds a lot better

Comment

if its a cyma 74u then you need the gas block
                    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

HEXAS 25, male Find out more about HEXAS
                    Working...
                    X