Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBB Slide Engraving & Re-painting

Hi everyone,
    So I have a much loved KWA MK23 GBB with stock metal slide. I'm very keen on completing the overall look and getting the slide engraved but have a couple of things I'm not sure on which perhaps you guys can help me with.

I am looking to get the gloss look that many MK23's have which is achieved with the type of anti-corrosion paint that H&K use. Also I want the paint to be as durable as possible and be at least as scratch resistant as possible. Any particular method of painting I should be looking for and any idea how this might effect how deep the engravings need to be?. I'm quite keen not to Krylon it as I'm looking for something much more durable.

Finally, just to mention that I'm aware of the RA-Tech steel engraved slide but to be honest if I'm going to spend £200 I'd rather have it made to my specifications and not weigh a metric ton. At the moment the stock metal slide cycles brilliantly so I don't want to change the way the pistol operates but just the way it looks.

Finally, if anyone has any suggestions on where I could get it done based on personal experience that would be great. Ive emailed the 'Airsoft Engraver' (Keith I think his name is) but so far no reply so im not betting on a speedy service.

Any help would be great, Ive looked around and found no-one specifically doing this with a MK23 and having no experience painting or engraving I'm a little in the dark.

Cheers everyone!

Keith
    sigpic

Re: GBB Slide Engraving & Re-painting

I've heard mixed things about airsoft engraver - several members on here have bad experiences but at the same time he did rubi-tong's G34 and it looks stunning.

As far as getting a durable finish goes, have a look at cerakote.
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

There do seem to be a fair few horror stories about Airsoft engraver, mainly regarding turnaround time but others that plain don't get items back, but again that's only 3rd hand info.
      I believe Rubi-tong knows him personally and lives fairly close.

There is another Airsoft specific engraver but 1) I obviously can't mention them and 2) he has issues with "trademarking" non traded guns, so depending on what exactly it is you want engraving he may not do it.

Comment

That's a shame, I was hoping to get a few quotes. In terms of the ceratoke, that stuff looks serious but defiantly what I'm after. Hopefully I can find someone in the UK who does it as I literally own nothing it requires.

I thought I had read something about the airsoft engraver being a little slow on getting back to people. Shame really, you think he'd be keen to get as much work as possible.
        sigpic

Comment

Hey mate, i have an idea of an ingravro, i have a freind a a company called Warp Speed Racing, he works with CNC machines and maybe he could lend a hand. shoot him an email and see what he says. the website is http://www.warpspeedracing.co.uk/?page_id=2 they mainly work with motorbike parts but he might be able to make an acception. have a look at his work and you'll find his email on the website.
          J

Comment

Cheers for that, I'll have a look.
            @Tisane-cant you mention them? Z1 don't do engraving so is it allowed?
            I've just found an old thread on here which has a great discussion about a UK ceratoke approved place. Slung them an email so hopefully I'll get a reply tomorrow.

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...n-the-UK/page2
            sigpic

Comment

yup, riflecraft (google them) do cerakote. Any good engravers might take on airsoft work if you speak to them first, and dont just bring in a whole gun.

Comment

Fair enough.
                sigpic

Comment

Update- Been a while but thought i'd update this and show some engraving off that Keith does. This pass was just the mill engraving and once its cerakoted it will go back for the laser engraved proofing marks and serial. I'm really chuffed so far and Keith has an excellent eye for detail and the engravings we're exactly what I asked for.

sigpic

Comment

Sweet.

I'm still hesitant about actually sending him something - so much bad rep is flying around (as well as the good stuff) that I'm really hesitant to trust him with even a few little bits & bobs, despite him doing top notch work for at least two members.

Comment

That's a fair point and understandable. Based on my experience you shouldn't worry about him being reliable but maybe if you have some sort of time-frame and want a quick turnover consider using someone else. The work he''s done for me is excellent and i'll be sending him more to him but it definitely took a while. Having said that he was away for some of the duration but the process still wasn't entirely prompt.
                      sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sonicninja Find out more about sonicninja
                      Working...
                      X