Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP68 radio problems

Hi guys, hopefully someone can help me!
    My Motorola GP68 radio is having problems with headsets/mics! It's all programmed in and transmits/receives fine with other radios until I connect a PTT/headset. It the wont receive but is happy to transmit. I thought it was my dodgey Ztactical PTT so bought a fist mic but it's doing the same! Is my radio fucked or is it something I haven't done? Hopefully someone can help and I won't have to buy a new radio!
    Cheers!

Re: GP68 radio problems

Firstly, I hope you're not using that on PMR446 frequencies - that would be illegal because the GP68 is too powerful, even on low...

Now to the problem:
    Does it actually transmit your voice, or is it just the carrier (radio "clicks", but is quiet during reception)?
    Is the fist mic specifically designed for the GP68?

Something else to try:
    The info I have says the Motorola 2-pin on the GP68 has the speaker output on the 3.5mm socket.
    So, disconnect any headset you have from the radio, and plug in a pair of known-working stereo headphones (e.g. from an iPod).
    If you still can't hear anything then, you can bet it's the radio's headphone output that's faulty. It'll likely only be heard in one ear, and that's not a fault. It should be heard in one, the other, or both. It doesn't matter which, as long as it's heard.

Comment

It actually carries the voice. I will be sure to give that a go with the headphones idea. Do you know if its just the port that's an issue whether this can be fixed? Ie radio taken apart and wiring checked.

As for the legalities as far as I'm aware it's all legal to use if programmed to the right channels.

Comment

Not to derail this about frequencies, but the GP68 doesn't have quite the right steps sizes for PMR446, and 'low' power is 1w, which as No.1 says is too powerful. They are a great radio, but not in spec for PMR446.

Either way, hope you get it sorted out.
        Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
        Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Does it make a difference that the "step" can be adjusted? Currently at 12.5 I believe.

Seems strange that the GP68 is such a commonly used radio and so easily available in the UK if like you guys say it is illegal. I'm not saying your wrong I'm just amused at how easy they make it or us to break the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by DJB266 View Post
            It actually carries the voice. I will be sure to give that a go with the headphones idea. Do you know if its just the port that's an issue whether this can be fixed? Ie radio taken apart and wiring checked.
            If it's the wiring that's at fault, it should be fixable. If it's a component fault, that might be harder, or even impossible to find.

As for the legalities as far as I'm aware it's all legal to use if programmed to the right channels.
            Does it make a difference that the "step" can be adjusted? Currently at 12.5 I believe.
            No difference whatsoever. The frequency isn't the problem. The minimum output power is.
            The lowest power output setting on the GP68 is 1W. The legal limit (and it is a HARD, definite limit, not a "recommendation") on PMR446 is 0.5W. Receiving is OK, but as soon as you transmit, you break the law.
            Think of it like running your AEG at 700fps with a 0.2g BB when your site limit is 350.
            Seems strange that the GP68 is such a commonly used radio and so easily available in the UK if like you guys say it is illegal. I'm not saying your wrong I'm just amused at how easy they make it or us to break the rules.
            They're available in the UK because you can get a licence to use them on frequencies other than PMR446. When you get such a licence, you can use the full 5W on the frequencies that licence covers. You CANNOT get such a licence for PMR446 frequencies.
            As for "commonly used": Yes they are, and no one is using them legally on PMR446 frequencies. No one is using them legally unless they have a licence.

It annoys me how fastidious airsofters are about their own interpretations of the VCRA and Firearms act, yet completely disregard the Wireless Telegraphy Act and associated regulations which are far more rigidly defined.

Comment

Actually, on the ones I have seen, the steps are offset the wrong way, so you cannot achieve the exact PMR freq. which causes a greater problem at distances.

No.1 is right. The GP68 is (well, was when it was current) really a business radio and usually used on a licence.
              Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
              Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Genista View Post
                Actually, on the ones I have seen, the steps are offset the wrong way, so you cannot achieve the exact PMR freq. which causes a greater problem at distances.
                I have a couple of UV3Rs which don't hit the frequencies on my licence (UK business light) out of the box. There's a menu option on them which changes the step size down to 6.25 kHz, at which setting it does hit the right frequencies.
                I'd be very surprised if the GP68 doesn't have a similar function.

Comment

I don't think the GP68 does 6.25 steps. You may be able to get around this and access some of the channels using other or no steps but as said you're not supposed to but it would be silly to tell you no one does, not that I am encouraging or advocating it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

DJB266 Find out more about DJB266
                  Working...
                  X