G&G GC-16 Raider gearbox project help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&G GC-16 Raider gearbox project help

Hi all, recently decided I wanted to make a nice dmr aeg rifle based on a G&G GC-16 raider. I really want to put this together myself from gearbox to new rail systems etc. I know I can do the external work and can assemble the gearbox but have never intalled aftermarket internals before.
    I have looked around and these internals seem to be the best fit for my internal budget (£250) but I need to know whether they will all work together, any advice is greatly appreciated

Gearbox- g&g v2 metal
    Tight bore- madbull black python 6.03mm 363mm
    Hop unit- madbull ultimate 3-in-1
    Hop rubber- madbull blue rubber
    Bushings- g&g standard 8mm
    Shims- ultimate shim set
    Spring- prometheus non-linear m120
    Spring guide- prometheus eg tornado shaft
    Cylinder- prometheus hard cylinder for 400-301mm
    Cylinder head- prometheus aero
    Nozzle- g&g standard
    Piston- madbull xf full teeth
    Piston head- shs aluminium cnc red
    Gears- g&g standard
    Motor- shs strong magnetic long high torque
    Tappet plate- systema energy v2
    Anti-reversal latch- ultimate reversal prevention latch

Re: G&G GC-16 Raider gearbox project help

Personally, I'd scrap the following all-together as unnecessary expense and stick with the standard G&G parts until such a time it requires replacing.

Spring guide- prometheus eg tornado shaft
    Cylinder- prometheus hard cylinder for 400-301mm
    Cylinder head- prometheus aero
    Piston- madbull xf full teeth
    Piston head- shs aluminium cnc red

In my experience SHS stuff is rarely an upgrade over standard parts from decent manufacturers.

If you're after a rapid response from the motor, I'd go for a Guarder infinite torque-up motor as possibly the best compromise between performance, price and longevity.

Also look into installing an active-braking MOSFET.

As with most things, its not just about dumping a load of high-end parts together. Having build a number of AEG DMR's, there is more to be said for the workmanship than the parts.

Perfect shimming, proper AOE correction/adjustment and AB MOSFET installation can give you such a complete and reliable cycle that you can do without the ARL completely (thus removing the risk of dreaded semi-auto lock-up).
    bought [bawt]
    verb
    Simple past tense and past participle of buy.
    brought [brawt]
    verb
    Simple past tense and past participle of bring.

Comment

Thanks really helpful comment will probably look into an active breaking MOSFET then and will scrap the unnecessary parts you listed, other than the piston as I've heard good things about them

Comment

SHS motors are damn good.
        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post
          SHS motors are damn good.
          I've seen 2 completely seize-up (granted they weren't the high torque variety) which is something I've only ever seen with a very old classic army motor.

For the same kind of money, I know I'd go for the guarder. A lot of people rate the SHS motors though, so it may just be unlucky personal experience. I've also heard good things about the Lonex high-torque motor, but never having used or fitted one I wouldn't like to offer an opinion.

Nothing wrong with the madbull piston at all. My point was, you're not going really going to see any gain over the G&G piston so you may as well hold off until you need to replace it (which probably wont be too long with a shed load of torque being pushed through the box! )
          bought [bawt]
          verb
          brought [brawt]
          verb

Comment

A mate of mine recently bought an shs high speed motor and hasn't installed it, the reviews say its great but I have the suspicion it could wreck a gearbox without good quality internals :P
            But yeah, the main reason for the madbull piston is just for added security (can't really be arsed to open up the gearbox after a month to replace the broken g&g piston) and hopefully should increase consistency

Comment

Sounds like a plan then mate. Everyone other than me seems to rate the SHS motors

Just note, high speed and high torque have quite different applications.

For AEG, DMR purposes, you want high torque for a snappy trigger response in semi
              bought [bawt]
              verb
              brought [brawt]
              verb

Comment

i can confirm that the High Speed will shred a non reinforced gearset and piston. its got the same (if not more torque than the HT, if you have a battery capable of giving it the Amps it needs) and they spin fast. 30rps on an out the box v3 with a tiny (1100) 9.6v, didnt fire enough shots on a 2200mah 11.1v 30c before it slaughtered itself to get a reading.

Comment

You've prompted a thought...

If you're going for an M120, a high torque motor may not be essential (or advisable). Some of these HT motors are intended for +m160 rated springs.

Something like a G&P high-speed M120 may fit the bill without risking stripping teeth.

It depends on whether you intend on sticking to semi (as seems likely with a DMR). If theres a chance you're going to be going full-auto, theres a different set of considerations to avoid what Jonny's described above. Premature engagement on high-speed set-ups kills gearboxes!
                  bought [bawt]
                  verb
                  brought [brawt]
                  verb

Comment

The high torque is fine, sits around 20rps on a big 9.6v.
                    I only really use it on semi in an otherwise stock G&G toptech (gen1)

Comment

If needed I can always splash out later on some high torque gear sets, or just get a lower torque motor

Comment

the G&P M120 is a terrible motor - overheats massively when you start running it with an m120 spring. And its pinion is made of cheese.
                        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

My SHS High torque is awesome. Has improved both RoF and trigger response. I'd say I've gone from 12ros to about 16rps. I've heard SHS' QC isn't what it used to be but so far so good.
                          Upcoming Games:
                          None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                          Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Burmaluke 2IC of Pathfinder airsoft Find out more about Burmaluke
                          Working...
                          X