Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic restoration, what paint?

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to do a fairly basic restoration of a project I have going on. The gun was tan, I think, then some spanner sprayed it black, badly. Obviously it now looks a fair bit meh. Going to strip off all the old paint and attempt to restore it to the traditional Matt black colour. You know, the usual.

First time doing anything like this, I usually stick to mechanics. Got a few artist friends, just need help and info on what paint to get? Anyone know the best to use?

Cheers!

Re: Basic restoration, what paint?

lots of people use krylon paint for guns

Comment

Krylon wears off fairly quickly, so if you want something permanent then Cerakote or DuraCoat are the way to go.

Comment

Thank you, will now try and find a UK supplier

Comment

Halfords camo paint is pretty durable. More so than Krylon anyway.

The matt black they do gives a nice even finish too. I don't know how into this you are so I apologise if this is obvious to you, but remember your 3 "P"s.

Prepare
          Prime
          Paint

You will get a much better finish than if you simply spray onto your gun.

Comment

Nope, not so obvious, my first paint based venture! Cheers! Also is it worth lacquering it afterwards?

Comment

Only if you can find a matt finish lacquer. Otherwise it will be all shiny and defeat the object of spraying it flat, matt colours for camo!

In the past, Mohave never bothered with lacquer. The paint can chip but I think it adds to the appeal of the camo / look.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Immoralartwork Find out more about Immoralartwork
              Working...
              X