Gears, finding it a confusing with all the different ratios :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears, finding it a confusing with all the different ratios :(

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a strong set of gears that can take a battering from the use of an 11.1v LiPo, plus a high torque motor (bought an ASCU Gen. 3+, but that's another topic altogether!), and I'm just wondering:

What is the bog standard ratio for gears, for a regular setup, and which manufacturers are good? I've been looking at SHS, but I'm curious as to what else is available, and while I'm at it: bearings or bushings, and which ones offer a strong option, as I'd like to build a durable, tough gearbox that will last, with only the need for occasional maintenance.

My understanding is, it's 18:1 for regular gear ratios.

And while I'm at it, should I look at steel toothed pistons as well?
    Rocking out... With my Heckler & Koch out...!

Legion 412

Re: Gears, finding it a confusing with all the different ratios

Hi, you're correct - 18:1 is pretty much the norm. A higher ratio is for higher torque, lower is for higher speed. SHS are good - I use them in my high speed set up (13:1) with no problems. If you're on a big budget, prometheus gears will last you an eternity...
    You say you're going for a regular reliable setup? If so I'd be wary of the 11.1 lipo, as it will definitely give you a high rate of fire. I'd go for a 7.4v lipo instead. Steel toothed pistons are good as you're not going for anything too out there in terms of speed or power (where you could easily screw your gears with it).
    Personally I haven't messed about with bushings too much but from what I've heard solid bushings are more reliable. While you're at it, make sure you have a bearing spring guide.

Comment

Re: Gears, finding it a confusing with all the different ratios

the above is good advice except maybe the metal tooth piston , i'm guessing this is going to be a first gearbox build , if so then i'd go for a plastic piston because if anything goes wrong then the piston will break not anything more expensive , once you gain experience then the metal tooth piston is more durable but i'd leave it for now.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

L3w151988 A craft beer drinking, occasional scruffy beard-growing, airsofter from London, living in Kent. Find out more about L3w151988
      Working...
      X