Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Manufacturing my own tracer (Calling all KAC QD suppressor owners)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufacturing my own tracer (Calling all KAC QD suppressor owners)

Hey guys,

I'm wanting a suppressor tracer unit for my Mk18 but I want to tie it in with the weapon system so am intending on converting a KAC QD suppressor (probably G&P) into a tracer unit by transplanting the internals from another suppressor.

Regarding the G&P (and any other that might exist), I assume the base screws off? And its filled with foam inside? If so this should be fairly easy to convert into what I want. Then its just the issue of choosing a unit to transplant, I like the idea of a rechargeable unit itself but think it'll be easier to use a battery powered system and just unscrew it to change batteries.

Anyone got advice or suggestions?

Cheers,
    Mike
    "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
    Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Re: Manufacturing my own tracer (Calling all KAC QD suppressor owners)

TM used to make a universal one. The kit was two length tubes, a tracer unit to go inside and a gazzillion bits of plastic as adapters.

If the dimensions fit, all the hard work is done for you as the tracer unit exists and runs on batteries (AA or AAA, I forget which)

Comment

That's very interesting, tracking one down might be a bit of research as all I seem to be hitting at the minute are complete suppressor units.

But thanks for the headsup.

Comment

The kit looks like this: stolen from google images

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...eradaptors.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And this.... Courtesy of google / open photobucket access

The old ones had the Mp5 on the box, are completely smooth like a MP5SD silencer. If it is knurled it is a new one.

Comment

I use a B&T tracer unit and it works great, just something to consider when buying a tracer unit
          sigpic

Comment

there are a few models of kac silencer, one of them (dunno which) fits the b&t tracer inside perfectly!

Comment

Originally posted by madwelshman View Post
              there are a few models of kac silencer, one of them (dunno which) fits the b&t tracer inside perfectly!
              I thought so as they look like a similar length and width.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys I'll check the B&T out.

Worst comes to the worst I'll build a circuit from scratch, its not that difficult of a project.

Comment

a friend has done this for his TM recoil. he took an ICS QD supressor (i can pull mine apart and take pics for you if you want later), and took the inner tube out and replaced it with the innards of the tracer unit. then modded the tube up a bit to allow a flash outside too.
                  -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                  -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

yep, as above, though not all unscrew, some are held together with rivets, not ideal as you need to access the tracer to turn it on/off...

Comment

Originally posted by madwelshman View Post
                      yep, as above, though not all unscrew, some are held together with rivets, not ideal as you need to access the tracer to turn it on/off...
                      the ICS one is uncrew if it matters, its shown in the pic of my signature.

Comment

I too am planning on doing this conversion at some point. I've got a VFC example (probably the nicest of the KAC replicas) to work with, and can get the dimensions for you if you like. Like all the others I've ever seen, the VFC unscrews from one end - however, it narrows internally for a short part in the middle; not sure why but it does. That will make sliding a silencer assembly inside somewhat complex, but the rest of it should be fairly simple. You can of course use rechargeable batteries or solder a pigtail to the contacts of a AA/AAA-powered unit, too.

Comment

Heres the ICS offering. Readily available. I can measure bits if youd like.

Comment

Awesome, all these posts are pretty handy.

Need to grab myself a suppressor and get to work now. :D

Comment

I'm considering doing something similar with an ASG tracer unit and a surefire style suppressor - it doesnt quite fit though
                              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fenrisianspirit I'm a huge geek. I love tinkering with computers, playing vidya games and listening to music.Why not zoidberg? Find out more about Fenrisianspirit
                              Working...
                              X