Mesh mouth guard, your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh mouth guard, your opinion?

So i've been thinking of making smaller face protection, since I hate all the lower face mesh masks i've tried. They're too bulky on me, interfere with my eye wear and resting my cheek on the stock.

I'm not bothered about getting shot in the face or nose its my teeth i'm worried about.

So i've come up with the idea of this, seen something similar on here. It's simply a rounded piece of mesh, attached to a goggle strap that covers your mouth. Around the edge of the mesh would be webbing like other mesh masks to protect you from the sharp edges, then on the inside possibly glue foam around the edge so it doesn't sit right on your face. You could then simply put a snood over to cover it up if you don't want to look like a gimp.

I do have some concerns though;
    Has anyone ever had or heard of someone chipping / breaking a rear tooth from being shot in the cheek? If so it may need to be wider.
    Likely to slip down? may need two straps, one high and one low.
    Because its so close to your mouth, could the energy from a bb still split your lip or even break a tooth? or could this be avoided by concaving the mesh?

Bit like a ball gag
    For Sale
    Madbull Landmine / Black Hellstorm Gloves / DPM South African Assault Vest

Re: Mesh mouth guard, your opinion?

What happens if you want to, or need to, shout? I can see you gobbling it lol

Also i have NEVER heard of back teeth being damaged through a cheek etc, and i think the only time it woyld hurt a tooth is if its directly laying on the tooth (the mesh) and the bb hits it as energy transfer hence cheeks getting hurt with lower face protection at the mo. But breaking a tooth, i dont think it would.

Nice idea though, but if it was me, id make one that goes across like a big rectangle, starts at end of nose, ends at chin, wear a snood again and you have your shouiting/talking issue solved there too. Can make it as wide as you like then.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Why not sewn it into a thin snood... I done that with a mesh mask I cut down, and reglued... I still had it over my nose and going over my teeth....

Just need to find a thinner snood, pref one with holes, wasnt to bad... but in the summer might be a pain
      FOR SALE
      7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
      , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

This is something I have done, for me it works as i have glued some rubber type material taken from the padding provided with some ubacs to the top of it, it pushes the mask away from my face so I can still talk/shout when needed. It can slide down, hence why I added the additional strap. I tried it first using kydex, but it was far wetter.

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...06#post1197106

Depending on what eye pro you wear, a problem can be it pushes air up, towards your glasses, however if you add the rubber, it seals it and stops that from being a problem.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_boy85 View Post
          What happens if you want to, or need to, shout? I can see you gobbling it lol

Also i have NEVER heard of back teeth being damaged through a cheek etc, and i think the only time it woyld hurt a tooth is if its directly laying on the tooth (the mesh) and the bb hits it as energy transfer hence cheeks getting hurt with lower face protection at the mo. But breaking a tooth, i dont think it would.

Nice idea though, but if it was me, id make one that goes across like a big rectangle, starts at end of nose, ends at chin, wear a snood again and you have your shouiting/talking issue solved there too. Can make it as wide as you like then.
          My bad, that picture makes it look quite small, but the size would be from the end of your nose and quite far down to your chin, so when I open my mouth wide it still protects me. I'd still like it short enough not to interfere with aiming though.

Originally posted by ElZer0 View Post
          Why not sewn it into a thin snood... I done that with a mesh mask I cut down, and reglued... I still had it over my nose and going over my teeth....

Just need to find a thinner snood, pref one with holes, wasnt to bad... but in the summer might be a pain
          If it was sewn into the snood then you can't remove the snood if its too hot, plus I don't think it would stay in place without a strap or two.

Also what would be the best mesh to use? the square overlapping kind or the one with holes? Is one stronger than the other?
          For Sale

Comment

with a single strap it would drop, using a snood doubled over with it in between to secure it ,like what Maple Leaf Tactical did with my mask would be the best option . Otherwise you could do a double strap but less straps less faf imo.

Comment

Originally posted by heroshark View Post
              with a single strap it would drop, using a snood doubled over with it in between to secure it ,like what Maple Leaf Tactical did with my mask would be the best option . Otherwise you could do a double strap but less straps less faf imo.
              What about a Y piece strap? If you know what I mean, so its 1 strap from the mask then splits into 2.

Maple Leaf Tactical?
              For Sale

Comment

Didnt drop to much when i tried my one...
                FOR SALE
                7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
                , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

Yep thats also a way to do it, http://www.youtube.com/user/writerdave87

Originally posted by Vex View Post
                  What about a Y piece strap? If you know what I mean, so its 1 strap from the mask then splits into 2.

Maple Leaf Tactical?
                  Looking at yours its combined with the snood which will steady it, on its own with a strap its likely do drop alot easier.

Originally posted by ElZer0 View Post
                  Didnt drop to much when i tried my one...

Comment

Gum shield? As in a sports,one?

Comment

Originally posted by Biff0r View Post
                      Gum shield? As in a sports,one?
                      There's a few cons with those . Worse one being they don't really protect your teeth that well as they only cover your top set of teeth .

Comment

Interesting idea, comfort and steaming up glasses are the two big issues with face protection (after protecting teeth and eyes of course)...

I use MMA gum shield sometimes when sniping and want to wear shooting glasses.

I prefer a bit of an off the wall solution though, I wear a balaclava or light face veil with a flap off an ammo pouch, which has velco, stuck to the inside of the balaclava. Works perfectly, especially this time of year when the extra warmth of a balaclava is welcome.

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 10.37.52.jpg
                        “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

Used to wear a gum shield until I saw a topic about it not working at all, someone got shot in the guard and snapped their tooth in half. Will try to find topic.
                          For Sale

Comment

How about something like this. Light green - mesh, dark green - pads (for comfort) and blue - straps. Rests on nose and maybe upper lip only and hangs down over mouth. Strapped under/over ears or both? Would leave your mouth free to move and minimise interference with aiming. I know you said mouth only but having it 'hook' on your nose would keep it in place better.

face.jpg

SAS

Comment

Another way to avoid straps is to make a slim mask that hooks up to the bridge of the nose on the eye wear.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Vex Find out more about Vex
                              Working...
                              X