PTW M16A1 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PTW M16A1 build

I should have two of the FCC A1 uppers on their way... one for trade and one for this project. I hope the quality is good!

In theory you can use a normal A2 upper. I've seen 733's using various uppers: Slick sides (Air Force), A1 (F/A, No brass deflector), C7 (A1 sights with F/A and brass deflector) and A2 (Black Hawk Down).

I could spare a Systema A2 upper if you're desperate.

Comment

I have an A2 upper but the A1 uppers look so much sexier. Also that way with a flash hider swap I can have an XM177 for Nam events I have been to.

Comment

They both look lovely and I'm vey jealous! Still having trouble sourcing a set of slim profile hand guards for my build - the CA ones don't fit my upper for some reason
        "Someone please get this muppet some skills!"

Comment

Fair enough. I also much prefer the A1 sights :D

Comment

My research last night lead me to send an email to SGT and they sell complete receiver sets for an M16A1 for a lot less than FCC so I may try and order one though them.

Comment

A lot less?? Thought SGT were much more expensive. £560 a set? I suppose that is through a uk retailer though.

Lovely build though. Love the classic simplicity. Makes my PTW look like something from killzone.!
              “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

Upper alone from FCC is 560 dollars. Full set form Sgt is 900

Comment

Good lord. I guess there's a little more to it than a standard flat top. Which is, or at least used to be OEM prime anyways.

Looking forward to seeing it.
                  “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

The FCC uppers I'm getting were $439 each. I looked at SGT but as far as I'm aware they only sell complete kits, but I didn't actually ask them. If I knew how long it'd take to get these FCC ones I'd have spent more time chasing up the SGT ones

Comment

Where did you get them at that price, I was looking and they were $520 singly which was WAY tooo much for just an upper with no barrel and what not. If I could get the entire XM kit thats good value but the upper alone wasn't.

Also that $900 for an SGT receiver set includes postage. However I am now looking into getting a WE upper milled out which should work out much cheaper.

Comment

Progress has been slow, delayed by the barrel order from HK, overtime at work, and trying to move into a new flat! The barrel finally arrived though. I decided to keep the slick-side upper and am getting a three-prong flash hider, so technically it'll be a 604 upper on an A1 lower. I can deal with that :D

The end section of the FCC steel barrel on the lathe, turned down to pencil profile:

The gun in its current state. I'll spray the barrel with Humbrol Gunmetal, then attach the front sling point:

And a detail view of the stock tube, for those interested:

I now realise that a G&P AEG stock could have fit, using the short stock tube that the PTW A2 stocks use. Fortunately I went the RS route and ended up with an actual solid stock!

Comment

...And it's done. I took it out at the weekend to Urban Assault for a day of getting shot by my own team. For some reason my batteries only lasted 300 rounds each. Not sure why!

Comment

Very nice, you've inspire me to get a M16a1 of my own as I've been meaning to get one again for some time and this thread has reminded me how nice they are.

Show some more photo's and details when you can

Comment

That was a really good thread, very much tempted on an A1 or 177 again. Thank you

Comment

Thank you. Hopefully this won't tempt you further... :D

Bits left over + spare time =

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Opossum Hi. I like possums. Find out more about Opossum
                                Working...
                                X