Tachyon OPS Camera Mounting Mod - Quick 10 min Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachyon OPS Camera Mounting Mod - Quick 10 min Project

So I managed to get my hands on both a Tachyon ops SD and HD model. These are great little cameras and are capable of standing up to the recoil of real steel firearms of various calibers without turning inside out. The SD is a fair bit smaller as you can see below.

Now you get a whole bunch of mounting options including a variety of specifically made gun mounts. The one I was interested in was the RIS mount - I just don't have the cash to pay for it.

So I decided instead to take on the the mounts apart and instead screw it to a rail cover.

As you can see from the pics I cut another rail guard in preparation to mount the SD version as a rear facing cam to catch footage of the bolt cycling and probably me getting shot..... alot.

Unfortunately my thumb ended up sitting right in front of the lens pretty much obstructing it. As you can see I also really don't need to add extra width to the front of the SCAR with the way things are currently set up.

So instead I sanded down one of the SD mounts and attached it to the side of the HD mount with some epoxy.

This works incredibly well, cuts down on a lot of bulk and gives the camera a much better field of view.

I'm hoping to start catching footage of my gameplay and I'm just waiting on an action cam:

To be clear - this is NOT a GoPro. It is however an excellent full HD 1080p which is compatible with all of GoPro's mounts as well as having comparable video. It actually looks like this thing does a better job underwater and in low light conditions. The only difference I can see is that it cant do 720p at 60fps but at that price I'm not about to start complaining.

I'll let you know how good it really is when it arrives!

Re: Tachyon OPS Camera Mounting Mod - Quick 10 min Project

BUILD UPDATE:

So had a shot on a vacuum former and made a coupe of shields out of 2mm styrene. This wraps around the silicone dust cover and should prevent any damage from even point blank shots. These hold the 4mm acrylic lenses in place and should prevent the lenses from being shot out.

Comment

I like the look of these! How much was the HD model? Had a scour on an auction site amongst others, couldn't find any for sale...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I picked up the HD for £50 with all of the original bits. The SD was around £30 from a nice chap on here. The video quality is OK but not good enough as a main which is why I'm just using it as a gun cam. Will probably put on a zoom lens at some point to the reduce pixelation I will get from zooming in post process.

Have since removed the IR filter but buggered the focus in the process. Have an adjustable replacement lens from another project I can use.

Now in the process of building a housing for the IR LED bank so I can helmet mount that. Just no room left on the gun. Should be good for night shoot action when the sj4000 (go pro ripoff) can't see in low light.

If you want a 1080p camera comparable to a GoPro hero 3 black edition then you really need to check it out. Plenty of excellent reviews and comparisons on youtube. Mine arrived very quickly and I'm just waiting on the next game day to get some footage of it for a review. Major plus is that it comes with the watertight case as standard and is compatible with all of the GoPro mounts which is fantastically cheeky.
        Did I mention you can get it with 3 batteries for around the £70 mark?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

What grabbed my attention was its low profile, there's not enough lower cost options with the lens-on-the-side arrangement. I've seen a few NICE cameras, but they aren't cheap. I've seen a clip of the quality (the reviewer gave it 8/10 for video quality, ha!) and it reminds me of mobile phone HD footage. Acceptable, but not great. I would be happy if this was reflected in the cost though, £50 isn't bad at all I would say.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Polarblair Find out more about Polarblair
          Working...
          X