Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

TOP, Classic Army and G&P m249 gearboxes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOP, Classic Army and G&P m249 gearboxes.

hi guys,
    Im not sure if anyone will be able to help but thought id ask anyway.
    I have a G&P m249 and was planning on making some alterations and getting the best out of all parts.

Now before I go on and explain the why's, here is my question....

Now the G&P 249 uses a V2 gearbox and a TOP/Classic army uses the pgc style gear box which is a lot better. The G&P is supposed to be a direct copy of the TOP 249 so would a pgc gearbox be able to be fitted into the G&P body and hop? Or could the lower be altered to fit?

The reason for this is I don't like the fact the G&P safety catch does NOT work... yet the TOP one does. So I would like to change mine for the TOP lower section with working safety catch, HOWEVER! the TOP lower grip section was not designed to fit a V2 gear box and wasn't sure if there is any room to make a cut out to fit the lower part of the V2 gear box without compromising the safety catch mech or if a pgc gearbox would fit.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers
    Last edited by Darkmikey22; 9 March, 2014, 02:35.

Re: TOP, Classic Army and G&P m249 gearboxes.

I get to play with an A&K and G&P DX body these days to fit a DG engine in the G&P. To answer some questions quickly I'll be concise:
    1. The big A&K gearbox fits inside the G&P body (I do not have the dimensions of the bellow type gearbox from TOP to check for fit)
    2. Since you can fit the big gearbox into the G&P all you have to do is use the TOP lower grip and you are set. Almost. There is a 1-2 mm difference in the distances of the mounting holes between G&P receiver and TOP lower grip section. But you converted an entire gimpy so that should be no prob :D
    3. It won't work to adapt the TOP grip to a V2 GB. the grip is screwed on directly to the V2 gearbox

DISCLAMER: G&P's body dimesions may vary between lots/generations etc. I have been told of someone not being able to fit a DG into it. But since it works for me I say go ahead.

Cheers

Comment

cheers fella, yea the holes could be done/sorted in a number of ways

If this turns out to be mega expensive to do this then may just live with the G&P one, but would of been nice to make it as realistic as possible. plus not keen on weapons with no working safety too.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmikey22 View Post
        cheers fella, yea the holes could be done/sorted in a number of ways
        Do tell how
        If you have all the parts then all you have to do is align those grip holes and drill 4 screw holes: 2 to mount the gearbox to the body and 2 for the feeding thingy in the STANAG mag well.

Comment

Originally posted by tarmoz View Post
          Do tell how
          If you have all the parts then all you have to do is align those grip holes and drill 4 screw holes: 2 to mount the gearbox to the body and 2 for the feeding thingy in the STANAG mag well.
          I thought you were on about the locating holes for the pins on the lower section lol.
          You cant adapt a TOP lower as you would need to remove the safety to fit the v2 gear box hence why im asking about using a different gearbox.
          Plus i dont have any parts yet as was seeing if it could be done.
          I may just live with it tbh as the more i look into it the more expensive its becoming just to have a safety catch lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmikey22 View Post
            I thought you were on about the locating holes for the pins on the lower section lol.
            I was, I just didn't express it correctly: those grip section pin holes are off by 1-2 mm. The TOP grip section will work only with the PGC style gearbox, which if installed into the GP body would require those 4 holes to be drilled into the body. If I still didn't succeed in expressing myself clearly tell me and I'll take pictures. Sorry, but in my brain it all makes sense since i visualize it for myself lol.

Comment

Glad I bumped in to this thread, likewise I'm looking to get the safety to work also. Where is the best place to get these parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
                Glad I bumped in to this thread, likewise I'm looking to get the safety to work also. Where is the best place to get these parts?
                not sure myself, was looking at buying a broken TOP mk1 off a mate. you will have to loose the V2 gearbox to do this, but are encountering issues on fitments and getting bits to work.

Comment

I have a similar conversion planned for my 249 PIP using an old G&P minimi body and everything else taken from CA/TOP/A&K 249s. I've been scrounging up parts for about 18 months.

There are some slight difference with the TOP trigger mech to the other similar makes, the screw/grub screw that allows you to adjust the trigger pull on the CA/A&K ones is a fixed block on the TOP version. Otherwise they are pretty much identical dimension wise. A&K trigger mechs are much easier to find than the top ones believe me!

just out of interest are you guys using the g&p hop setup still? I like being able to use stanag mags and couldn't track down a G&p out barrel so TOP/A&K/CA style it is.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Darkmikey22 Find out more about Darkmikey22
                  Working...
                  X