Trouble with KRYLON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with KRYLON

So, after talking to a lot of people about Krylon paint and how absolutely everybody says its fantastic and nothing can go wrong i take the plunge and spray up my gun (well grips stock, rail covers etc) leave it to dry. Looks excellent but when i pick it up it feels tacky. Its dry (left it for a good 12 hours) but when i handle it (especailly with sweaty hands) it feels tacky. My plan is to strip the paint (white spirit) use some primer i bought today plasti-kote plastic primer and start again.

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have an opinion? WHAT SHOULD I DO!

thanks in advance Will.

Originally posted by gijohn2
    What does every one else do as a support role?
    Originally posted by Lt. Macka
    shoot lots.

Re: Trouble with KRYLON

You must have sprayed from far too close.

If you spray from an appropriate distance and layer it you will have no such problems. I've been kryloning(word? :p ) for years and I've only had this once or twice when I got sloppy and blobbed it.

Take you time, use nice thin layers, that way you can go over it a couple three times and will have a much nicer, smoother, cleaner, more matte finish.

Also make sure you shake the can before you spray to get the paint nice & mixed up.

Comment

Just as an aside, white spirit will do squat in terms of stripping.

Multiple thin coats in a dry, warm room please.

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
        Just as an aside, white spirit will do squat in terms of stripping.

well i just stripped it all down with bargin basement white spirit. Didnt get it 100% clean as i intended to respray it (just the nooks and crannies that were too much of a bitch) a good 90% was absolutely clean. Any way i have gone, stripped under coated and re sprayed it all. and guess what, its donr the exact same thing. I feel like crying. These arnt low quality parts either. G&P pistol grip and raider stubby. Does anyone have any kind of idea? lacquer maybe?

shoot lots.

Comment

Why not put a sealer on top?
          Then it wont be sticky, saves time and money.
          Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
          Just because something is in Transformers 2 doesnt make it real.

Comment

Originally posted by ztara View Post
            well i just stripped it all down with bargin basement white spirit. Didnt get it 100% clean as i intended to respray it (just the nooks and crannies that were too much of a bitch) a good 90% was absolutely clean. Any way i have gone, stripped under coated and re sprayed it all. and guess what, its donr the exact same thing. I feel like crying. These arnt low quality parts either. G&P pistol grip and raider stubby. Does anyone have any kind of idea? lacquer maybe?
            That's interesting, I've never had any luck stripping dried paint off like that... You sure it was properly dry?

Comment

Do an ebay search for plastidip or rubber spraypaint.

I gave my hk53 handguard a good few layers of this stuff... it looks great, feels great. and its tough as hell!

Comment

dont try sealing the paint if its not cured,it will never set if sealed by a top coat.

Sounds to me like your putting too much paint on the gun, several dusting coats, leaving 5-10 minutes minimum between coats in a warm room, not one thick coat.

If you are really struggling, I dont mind spraying them for you matey.

Comment

I don't believe you are spraying properly/letting it dry sufficiently/something. I've never had this problem.

Perhaps you got a bad batch or something but I'm pretty sure the problem resides with the painter not the paint or painted.

Comment

I have seen people give their guns a spray job in cold damp conditions and it has still dryed....

The only thing I can suggest is very light coats. It doesn't matter how many times you have to go over it when each coat has dried if you leave some thin patches.

I would have said preping for paint but you have cleaned it with spirit. I prep my guns with something that comes in a can like petrol lighter fuel, I'll dig it out tomorrow and let you know.

I have even tw4t toned...soz I mean two toned with Halfords own and hardly any prep no primer and alls been ok. I used to spray my own scooters back in the day but I am by no means an expert.

Cans need well shaking befor spraying. If the primer coat is going on ok, maybe you have a bad can of krylon.
                    Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

You are definitely putting too much on in your coats. This is a classic symptom of too much paint. Once you have too much on it will take anything up to a week to dry.

I painted my Tornado grenade and my BFG. The BFG was done spot on but I put too heavy a coat on the Tornado. I just set it aside and left it. Took about 4 days but was then fine.

Leave it somewhere warm and dry, not humid, and leave a few days. You will find it will be fine.

When using aerosols. spray from around 12 to 18 inches away. Start your pass from around 4-6 inches to the side of the item and completely pass across and beyond the item. This ensure complete coverage of the edges, and doesnt leave thin coverage at the edges.
                      Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

i sorted it now. Just left the thing without touching it for a whole week (lucky as i was going on holiday) and whilst its not perfect still, it barely noticeable.

shoot lots.

Comment

Yup sounds like tha classic too much paint, I did my gun with about 5 very thin coats from a long distance, the first coat was litterally a dusting of paint just to grip the surface, only takes minutes to dry, then on the last coat leave it to dry over night and it'll be rock hard.

As you said, left it for a week and it's had the chance to dry, you'll probably find hat in a month it'll be completly fine

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ztara Find out more about ztara
                          Working...
                          X