Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viable Project?

Hi Guys,

You lot are the most critical i know, so i'm asking if this is worth doing or not.

Im bored of looking at my g36 and Scar-L have decided to p*** about with all sorts of gizmos and wedge them into the bodywork.

1. A working ammo counter - Think pedometer type circuit, replacing the pendulum with possibly an IR sensor mounted in the flash hide to detect the BB?

2. Mag level indicator (mag changes might be slow) - This would require the mod on every mag - 4 proximity sensors at even intervals on the mag and a simple plug to the circuit (bargraph indicator)

3. Range finder lasers - This would need calibrating. Blue laser left Red laser right, fix them so they point inwards until they cross at your maximum range (before gravity takes effect). If the red is on the right and blue on the left, then target is out of range. This is mainly for dmr type and in low light. Nothing worse than thinking you can hit an unsuspecting target, the making him aware of your location by falling short.

4. Voltage alarm - Basically the same device as one of those plug in doohickys that beep when low and give a constant voltage reading, but mounted in the stock.

A PEQ box will house all the circuitry and power supply. Im also wondering if the balance lead can be used to utilise a 3.7V Supply?

Im also think of buying some clear perspex of various shapes and sizes, diffusing coloured LEDs behind them. Making them kind of a fat fibre optic.

Any help, websites of where has been done before, cheap solutions to counters displays etc.

You get the drift

Re: Viable Project?

1) If you go semi only, then a microswitch behind the trigger, so every time it clicks a counter on the led goes +1, and another on the mag release switch so when this one becomes depressed it'll act as a reset switch, you could get that quite easily to either count down or up, and to have it linked to a red led to show you when running low or something along those lines. For full auto, will probably be more effort than its worth

2) You could acheive with 1

3) you could botch the circuitry of a golf range finder, it wouldn't tell you if you're in/ out of range, but would give you a meters reading which is just as good in airsoft ranges.
    4)not sure of the question

I'm not even sure if you were seeking different ways of doing it, but I definitely think you should make a halo battle rifle and put it into the display on that and/or onto a F2000 in the upper bit to hide all the wiring.

Comment

Number 4 is just the equivalent of an audiable lipo alarm telling you your main battery is flat or getting that way.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't run your ancilliaries off just one cell - run them off your main power feed and regulate it down if you need to. Other than that it's just a case of making the electronics hardened enough not to break!
        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

One cell in the extra battery would feed one thing one cell would feed something else. The main battery is in the stock

Comment

You could always use a photodiode or a photoresistor for the ammo counter. It wouldn't require any IR source, and would work if you could link up a counter to detect a drop in current.
            "Unleash just one load into the enemy
            and be ready to go again straight
            away... and that doesn't happen very
            often does it lads!" - ZeroOne

Comment

Thats the way I was thinking. Not too sure if it will pick it up at that speed though. Was gonna go with the trailing edge to activate the clock input.
              Thinking of adding a laser to operate off the first bit on the counter too. Ordered some bits but will have to wait for them yet.

Comment

using on or two cell power through the balance lead works well , i've used 1 cell for LED's ,2 cells for a smoke generator , as long as you include the battery monitor there is no issue other than 1 cell discharging faster and one cell invariably does anyway ,the only other thing is to insure the balance lead can cope with the load ,if its for photo-sensors and the circuitry it will be fine.
                be aware that lasers are banned from a lot of sites for H+S reasons so that may impact on the range finder , i had a very similar idea only with the lasers vertically mounted so a red at the top was in range ,red at the bottom out of range etc but to make it workable on the short range of an airsoft gun they would need to be mounted unfeasably far apart to get a clear reading .

Comment

Im thinking of mounting them inside the peq box quite close to each other. Think there is a section on it with two blank holes.

Comment

Originally posted by dadio View Post
                    i had a very similar idea only with the lasers vertically mounted so a red at the top was in range ,red at the bottom out of range etc but to make it workable on the short range of an airsoft gun they would need to be mounted unfeasably far apart to get a clear reading .
                    Why would this be difficult? If you're talking about a convergence point, surely mounting them at a slight angle then adjusting the alignment with an Allen key would work? I think I'm missing something 😁

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

it's not a problem doing it, its just a problem reading it , the closer together the lasers are mounted the greater the distance that they appear as just one spot once they converge ,the greater the distance apart the laser's are mounted the shorter the distance that they are one spot so the easier it is too read it ,with real fire arms or even golf range finders the ranges are far greater than that of airsoft so the problem of having the laser's too closely mounted if far smaller ,building it is easy , calibrating it and reading it is not .you could say use a smaller laser dot but that will be harder to see .in any case using it is a moot point because most airsoft sites have banned laser's because of the health and safety issue .

Comment

The sites I go are still ok with lasers. Anyway that idea is way down on the list. As a ready made counter module with 3 or even 2 digits is impossible to find. Im close to going down the arduino route and basically having a small computer controlling sensors and outputs. Displays look great too. Will have to protect with some perspex.

Comment

I'm with you now dadio! I feel like a beatnik typing that. Enlighten me, why have sites banned lasers anyway? Lower watt lasers don't have any real evidence to damage eyes, even at longer exposures. Now, my my mates one that burns carboard is a different matter. No idea why he bought it.

Back OT, I had really nice VFD three digit displays, if they're any use, I'll see if I can find them, although they're much higher drain than LCD. But Damn it, they look cool!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet. Looks as though ill be adding my own counting circuit. Are they glass?
                            Just wish one supplier had the lot rather than half from china, bit from maplins. Do we not have radio shack somewhere?

Comment

dont know if you have seen but there is a new combination chrono shaped like a silencer which has a built in fps,rpm,rounds fired indicator and I believe a tracer unit built in and feeds info to a side saddle peq like box to fit on rail in black or tan looks pretty good and would solve a few issues without any work at all other than screwing unit on oh it has a built in battery indicator and can set burst fire too all $100 plus postage seems to do all you are asking easily

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

captain dog Find out more about captain dog
                              Working...
                              X