Barrel Consistency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Consistency

I'd like to ask a question. After running a few shooting tests my latest gun is a little bit inconsistent. Shots hitting all over an A4 piece of paper at 40m.

It's completely stock at the moment, and I'm working on a home made firefly like bucking to help improve the shot to shot consistency, but the largest factor as far as I can think is the barrel. It's running a standard Cyma barrel.

At the moment it's already at 430fps. So is like to avoid going tighter on the barrel if possible, and instead focus on the finish of the barrel, and who makes the nicest and most perfectly finished barrels?

As far as I'm aware it's PDI, but at just under £90 a barrel it's a little dear for me.

What other options are there?

Re: Barrel Consistency

Are your BBs consistent in other Guns?

Comment

Yep. Madbull .36s so not shabby ones

Comment

Hmm do you know anyone who you could borrow a Barrel from before splashing out some serious dough? Would be a pisser to buy one only to find you still have the same issue :-(

Comment

Prometheus EG barrels are closer to the £50-60 mark, still not cheap by any means, but they get highly recommended as well. Im running two of them with impressive results from the little testing I've had chance to do.
          sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Yeah. I did have a madbull barrel once a while ago, (not in this gun) but don't really remember what difference it made as I swapped it out straight away.

Worth mentioning this is a DMR, so shot to shot placement consistency with the barrel is the most important factor, rather than what tightness the bore is

Comment

BSB,

One option to try before you splash out on something nice is barrel lapping. It basically involves using an abrasive paste like T-cut or similar (some people have used 'brasso') to achieve a mirror like polish down the bore to help even out any inconsistencies. You will find a few guides on various airsoft sniper forums if you google airsoft barrel polishing or the like.

The process is supposed to improve accuracy fairly significantly, but if your barrel is not the best anyhow, I doubt the effect would be particularly spectacular; but it might make a nice review type post if you're willing to act as a guinea pig...

I plan on giving it a go when I eventually get my DMR up and running regardless...

As an aside (stupid question as I have no doubt that you've checked) but how solidly is the inner barrel sitting in the outer? Is there any wobble here?

R

Comment

Thanks I'll try that.

After giving it a days skirmish I had too much hop on which was causing most of the problem it would seem. 1 click off didn't change the amount of hop but made shots much more consistent

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                Working...
                X