Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Modified stock - how to get around it? Threading a barrel? How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified stock - how to get around it? Threading a barrel? How?

Hey ZI

Not posted in a while but had a few questions. I've got an old stock that I have cut on purpose to make smaller (L96), the stock is hollow and I need to fill it. What would be the best way to fill the hollow part of the stock? I want a nice STRONG finish that can be painted etc.

Also I have a outer barrel that I have modified, whats the best way to go about giving it some threads (INSIDE THREADS) to the end cap (l96 again) Ideally would be great if anyone here could thread it for a small fee - I don't have access to a workshop with the equipment
    Last edited by cactus; 27 May, 2014, 14:07.

Re: Modified stock - how to get around it? Threading a barrel? How?

Just a thought regarding the filling of a hollow stock, have you considered expanding foam?
    I used it on my JG Bar 10 ages ago and years on, it's still pretty solid.

Comment

In terms of the stock you could use fibreglass sheets and then layer with bondo (car body filler) then smooth it. If you spent the time on sanding it, it could come out really nice and smooth and would be perfect to paint.

Comment

Thread wise you'll need a what? 1" tap?? Of which is going to be very hard to do. Maybe if you had a very very big laithe but it's still guna be hard and possibly dangerous for your outer barrel. A hand tap might do it but it won't be the worlds best thread.
        J

Comment

Originally posted by wo6873 View Post
          Just a thought regarding the filling of a hollow stock, have you considered expanding foam?
          I used it on my JG Bar 10 ages ago and years on, it's still pretty solid.
          Not going near it, I doubt it would give a perfect finish, good enough strength and It may dent

Originally posted by jakeas View Post
          Thread wise you'll need a what? 1" tap?? Of which is going to be very hard to do. Maybe if you had a very very big laithe but it's still guna be hard and possibly dangerous for your outer barrel. A hand tap might do it but it won't be the worlds best thread.
          J
          The only lathe I know of was when I was back in school, it wasn't used as it was deemed "too dangerous" But yeah, I know all about that!

Come to think of it, I may cheap out and perhaps....g-glue the end cap on? I honestly can't access any machines. But I do remember some guy that was offering custom silencers made, I might track him down and ask.

Originally posted by Burmaluke View Post
          In terms of the stock you could use fibreglass sheets and then layer with bondo (car body filler) then smooth it. If you spent the time on sanding it, it could come out really nice and smooth and would be perfect to paint.
          I was thinking of fibreglass, but I was struggling to figure out how it would work. I guessed that packing the hole first would take up less room I could even use some foam if there's any left in the shed. Would I overlap the fiberglass around the hole and then sand it down or? http://i.imgur.com/OM1zeZF.png
          That picture is a basic crappy drawing of what I've got to deal with. I want it flush along the sides, would it just be the case of sanding it?

It's lucky Im straying away from using carbon fiber weave like I initially planned, that would still be amazing though!

Comment

For getting the barrel threaded you can go to a hydraulic hose company such as Pirtek. We use them for on site repairs for the machinery etc. I am sure they will be able to help you out. They are national with stores and "man in van" all over the place. Individual engineering firms may be able to help too.

Many moons ago I had an internal barrel ported and crowned and it cost me a pack of biscuits.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

cactus Im a newbie to airsoft, But I do enjoy it. :) Find out more about cactus
            Working...
            X