Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling for a pistol RMR

Hello all,

Been looking at mounting an RMR on a SAI slide i've got coming for my M&P, it'll have to be milled and then 2 holes drilled and tapped. Just wondering if anyone else has had any work done like this, or any other milling work on airsoft stuff? Just wondering ball-park pricing / who I could take it to?

Any help greatly appreciated!

P.S. if anyones got an RMR on a pistol i'd love to see it! So post it up!

Cheers,

Scott

Re: Milling for a pistol RMR

no idea what an rmr is mate but I've done plenty of bits on the milling machine at work for mine replacing bit that have been made from pot metal that broke and i drilled and tapped a screw on my dmr so it couldn't be switched to auto, i know that we get charged out at £50 and hour to the customers but its quite precision work (tolerances down the 5 microns) so i think its more because of that

Comment

As long as you know the dimensions and have a sketch of what needs done just about any metal working engineering firm can do the work as would be a simple fly cut and drill/tap.

The issue is getting the placement bang on.

Comment

It's just one of those really small red dots, like the trijicon ones. The tolerances are a big issue;it's only an airsoft gun and the sight is held down with Allen screws, so as long as the holes are tapped square it's all good.

It's pretty easy work for a machinist, it's just knowing where to send it that I'm wondering.

Comment

Don't they make a slide that comes with the dot sight?

Comment

im assuming you want to bolt this directly onto the moving slide by your description which may not be the best idea most pistol sight mounts like that are generally held by a cage system that surrounds the moving slide to allow it to move unhindered while hold the sight still i think the sight may break off or break your top slide if its mounted directly esp if its pot metal screws dont hold well i stand by to be corrected by my colleagues here tho lol
            Ha ill correct myself before others do ive just seen what you want to do a guy had bought a special mount that replaced the rear iron sight on a gbb pistol and he used that to fix the red dot on unusual buy it allowed holster access without trouble interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
              Don't they make a slide that comes with the dot sight?
              Well Ace 1 Arms make one for the Glock, but neither the Costa Ludus or the SAI slides for the M&P are mountable.

The real M&P series has a Core slide, which already has the cut out; then you use a mounting plate between the sight and the slide.

Plus the Ace 1 Arms slide is a nice bit of cnc ali, so if its machined and tapped properly the sight should be sturdy as anything.

for ref: IMG_0587_800.jpg

Comment

RMR base usually drops into the rear sight location.
                If you had an exact pic of what you after it would be easier as know a few people on here who are machine it's sometimes take on homers.

Comment

So the milling and tapping will basically be this, minus the nubs: (even though this is a glock slide):
                  IMG_5921.JPG

And will look like this complete:
                  2398515_02_s_w_m_p_core_9mm_w_rmr_red_dot_640.jpg

Comment

yep pretty much any machine shop / someone will access to a 2axis mill can do that.
                    your biggest issue will be the dimensioning as most places wont touch it without some from of drawing to go with it and if your out by .1-.2mm then its going to look pants.

Comment

I suppose I could get it milled down to like 1mm short then hand file it to fit, to make sure its the best fit.

Comment

Just out of interest is there anybody on the forum with access to a milling machine that would consider doing this work?

Comment

I did this to a Glock slide at work. The aluminium used to make the slide is crap, its also to thin really to get a good cut then thread. Buy one with the slot done. However milling out the barrel ports is a piece of piss.

Comment

Suppose I could just get it milled flat and not bother putting threads in; maybe just JB weld the mounting plate direct to the slide. It is only airsoft recoil after all, and no heat to contend with.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Scotty Dog A Northerner living down south Find out more about Scotty Dog
                            Working...
                            X