Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What defines a G36 DMR?

Hello all,

A combination of wanting to run a heavier BBs, and growing tired of churning through endless midcaps at milsim-ish games has led me to considering turning my WE G39 into a DMR. So aside from all the obvious points about gas inconsistency etc. my main consideration was what externally constitutes a G36 DMR?

Internals wise I've already modified the nozzle so the NPAS can sit far enough back, fitted and tuned an Rhop and got it working at a maximum of 410fps.

In terms of DMR semi only rules I've ground the fire selector bar down so it can't push the full auto sear down, moreover I've put M2 size roll pins to lock the selector switches movement down so they only rotate to semi... and because i'm a bot OCD about neatness I've even painted over the full auto symbols.

My question is can a G36K with the scoped rail be considered a DMR for the purposes of airsoft? I know this has been debated to death for other platforms but I couldn't find a consensus on the G36.

I don't want to step up to the G36E / V / SL8 size because they're pretty unwieldy and their usefulness in airsoft is null. However I accept that in the real world the K is only considered a Carbine size. Ideally I'd like to run it as K with the 3.5x scope rail and a bipod. In K form it is basically as long as most AR DMR builds anyway.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! Throw your hat in the ring.

Re: What defines a G36 DMR?

i would say the designatee defines what a g36 dmr would be . However, i would imagine it would depend on your site that you play at for what would be considered a dmr for airsoft. I use gz as an example iirc the rule was 425fps max, and semi only so by that definition you could also use a "c" variant.

Comment

I know what you mean, I just don't want to get to a Stirling event or something and encounter major bum hurt when I want to use my G36k at 420fps.

You get many people running 400+fps at GZ mate?

Comment

tbh, your best bet would be to give whereever you plan on going a call to check it over, everything else is just speculation . I don't play there so i couldnt say, we dont have a dmr rule where i do!

Comment

Sounds like you've already gone the extra mile to ensure your G36 meets the criteria that many sites demand, & obviously your intent is to use it in a more conservative role, so well done, but as others have pointed out, some sites may have obscure rules or reasoning for what they feel is dmr suitable, only thing you can do is call ahead, or even better, email ahead so you have it in writing what's allowed.

Comment

I'm just trying to gauge what externals I could get the most utility out of. If I had the money I'd have all the hand guards, but really I'm only going to be able to source/afford one.

Plus I'm just interested in what people have to say about the G36, I feel sorry for them, most times you see them fielded they're either a broken WE G39 or a batter rental gun.

Comment

They are a bit of a marmite gun and if you make it a dmr its kind of a marmite and chilli sandwich ,it's not the rules but peer pressure really that you might think about , personally I say do what you like at a walk on day ,just enjoy yourself but.....if you go to a mil sim day they probably won't like it at all .

Comment

Originally posted by dadio View Post
                They are a bit of a marmite gun and if you make it a dmr its kind of a marmite and chilli sandwich
                Nice summary, marmite and chilli sounds pretty intense.

You reckon go longer then, maybe something like this:

g36dmr.jpg

Comment

It really depends on if you do mil sim or not ,for regular airsoft have it your way but some mil sim's they won't like an mp5 dmr or Mac 10 support weapon ,its form must reflect its function .

Comment

Ended up forking out for a E-kit last night anyway. Figured it was worth the extra little bit of weight and the extra £10 on top of the price of the K-kit just to make sure I could use it anywhere. I think even for the purposes of milsim the G36E can definitely be classed as a DMR.

G36E.jpg

Comment

Just a little update to this my little project is nearly finished,

Any ambiguity I had about the G36 being fielded in a genuine DMR role has been quashed; using a lot of google.de and crap translations I came across the
                      'G36 SSG KR' and the 'G36 LSR'. Apparently both of these variants are used (in albeit very small quantities) buy the Bundeswehr and KSK. Some of you may have already known this, but its news to me!

I'll be posting up a some pictures once the scope rail arrives and get painted up. I'll do a write up on everything I did to it; or maybe i'll put together a 'long term care guide' for the G39 if I can time. Hopefully a few more people with troublesome G39s sat gathering dust can get some use out of them.

Comment

Nearly done with this, little bit of internal tweaking to do now the inner barrel has altered the fps, think its turned out quite nicely so far though:

G39SSR.jpgG39SSR(1).jpg

Let me know what you think!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Scotty Dog A Northerner living down south Find out more about Scotty Dog
                        Working...
                        X