Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

An interesting project... Let's get a few ideas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting project... Let's get a few ideas!

Now this one might be a strange idea, and you'd probably ask yourself "why is he doing this...?"

Remember those little experiments you used to do in school whereby you connected a 1.5v AA battery to a board, used a few dragon clips, or whatever they're called these days, and powered a light bulb??

Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to power a light bulb/ LED/ etc by using an Airsoft battery. Now what you've got to consider is I'm wanting at least 80 Watts of light.... But that should be easy considering that it's not 1.5v, it's probably 8.4v... and it's not 1000mAh, it's 5000mAh....

Furthermore, I'm wondering if that's possible, while still maintaining charge in the battery by connecting it to a slow turning motor to power a dyno which recharges the cells....

Do you have any ideas?

In theory, I'm guessing that this is very possible with the right know-how, but I'm wondering if, by using an airsoft battery to power a bulb, if it would use all of its power within a couple of hours? If not, how many hours do you think it'd be possible to get?

Cheers guys.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Re: An interesting project... Let's get a few ideas!

Ignoring what you want it for are you proposing to use the airsoft battery to power the motor to charge the same battery? Because that won't work Im afraid

Comment

The battery you describe will power the bulb at 80 watts for roughly half an hour. The bit about the motor, if i understand it right, is against the laws of physics as we know them at the moment so probably won't work too well.

Comment

can i be the one that asks why are you doing this? lol

trying to discharge the battery or what?
        Originally posted by Teddykiller
        I have felt this wrath as I like going deep in the bush.

Comment

No think he means ALSO connect it to a small motor which will turn a small DYNO which will recharge the battery while lighting the bulb.

Matt
          sigpic
          Magpul CTR Stock + MOE PTS Handguard PM Me

Comment

This will prolong the life of the charge but due to the fact that no component is ever close to 100% efficient you will still loose power at various point in the circuit.

Comment

Okay thanks, I was hoping for two different systems actually; one to charge and one to discharge.

Any other ways (other than light bulbs) of discharging a battery quickly?

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

How quickly?

Drawing 1 amp of current from a 5000mAh battery would take about 5 hours to discharge.

80W @ 8.4V is about 9.52A. That'd take the "roughly half an hour" referred to by ACU, and generate a lot of heat in the wiring.

Comment

Run the battery to a couple of lightbulbs, or a favourite of my mate was run a battery down on his massive cooling fan from out of his pc. Worked very well as there is plenty of air resistance for the motor to work against, and works well at discharging the battery.

Comment

A battery discharger maybe?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gaffa Nicknamed "Gaffa" because I can be bossy, but get the job done! I'm built for comfort, not speed... Find out more about Gaffa
                    Working...
                    X