HK417

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HK417

Maybe not that challenging a project, but my next project gun, I intend to make a HK417

I was thinking about using an SR25 body, Full Stock, and a HK416 Front end, Obviously I will need to work out what mags to use, or how to edit SR25 mags to look like HK417 Mags.

Any thoughts? or is there an airsoft version already and I'm wasting my time...

CK

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Re: HK417

I think your main difficulty will be in finding a suitably long HK style RIS fore-end. The barrel can be a suitably long SR-25 style one, though the 417 has a flash suppressor.
    Add an HK stock and you should be all but sorted.
    As for the mags, that will be difficult. I'm afraid you'll need to adapt an existing similar mag for that purpose, or just use SR-25 mags. If you can get shorter mags, so much the better.

Comment

your receiver will be wrong with regards to a forward assist, and the upper rail of the receiver wont line up with a 416 RIS as the receiver will sit too low, I looked at it, but theres just currently no way to do it without ALOT of completely custom fabrication.

Comment

SR25 lower reciever and hk417 upper reciever ? wont that work ?
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Parky
        Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

Presume you mean SR25 lower and 416 upper?

unfortunately not, different sizes.

Comment

yeah thats what my first guess would of been, and oh well thats my project out the window!
            sigpic
            Originally posted by Parky
            Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

its possible to get close, but not close enough for my liking, a short version would be easiest, whack a 416 front end onto a SR25 or AR10 body, use a 417 stock of the type often seen on Airsoft 416's and use a rail riser on the receiver to build it up to the correct level, but you would either need to graft a forward assist knob on or ignore the fact its missing one, personally its not close enough for me. Mags would be an issue too, but alot easier to do than the receiver would be.

Comment

Yeah, due to the length of an SR25 body, a 416 upper receiver wouldn't be long enough for the SR25 lower.

My work is under the presumption that a 416 forend will fit on an SR25 receiver...

The stock is easy enough, I can get those parts.

The mags will require a bit of work I'd imagine. some kind of hybrid.

I will see what I can work out.

A forward assist knob isnt important really. If this project seems to unlikely I will scrap it and go back to the drawing board :D

CK

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Comment

This is what im going for...

Comment

Looking at the above picture, it appears to have a G3 Mag, and a G3 Mag release. Will find a better picture if possible...

It's hard enough to get hold of G3 Metal bodys, let alone to hack one up for this purpose

CK

Comment

Ok, lots of posts, but I think this is the most up to date version of the gun...

It has a more M4 Style mag release.

Comment

Picture didnt show mate. I do like the 417 though, its a mans gun. (7.62)
                        section 24 of the 1968 Act
                        Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

the 416 forend will fit on an SR25 receiver, the picture above is of an early prototype version, look on HKpro for lots of good reference pics. The issue with the forward assist knob IS a big one, if you dont do it, then its simply not a 417, its an SR 25 with a HK forend. A custom weapon is all about going the extra mile, not just fitting together existing parts.

The only way currently to do this is to get a scratch built CNC'd receiver made (not a cheap idea) as this would deal with the top rail misallignment and the forward assist issue.

Comment

Ok, whilst I do plan on spending money on this project, I would prefer not to be bankrupt, so i'm scrapping this till either someone makes the gun, or makes the body.

CK

Comment

Heh, your idea has tickled me.

I think I may put this in my 'to do' box, after my hk79 build. Always wanted something like this (a weapon which is armalite-like in aesthetics/usability but different enough, especially with the G3 mags, to never be mistaken for one) will probably go for the 20" barrel though.

More steel bending for me... Will get on this when I have time and moneys.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

CK Find out more about CK
                              Working...
                              X