Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: heated pistol holster

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
    Im gonna call BS on that, Ive never had that problem and most of those handwarmers only get to about 40C which is only a couple degrees above body temperature anyway, so no differant to keeping them in your pocket to keep them warm. Unless of course you buy the arctic grade handwarmers that are abouy 70C! But then youd risk burning yourself!
    You can call BS all you like, but heating your mags up will cause them to fire harder, we know this, so it's not infeasible for a heated mag to fire too hot.

Your body has a core temperature of around 37 degrees I believe, the outer temperature will be nowhere near that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnose View Post
      Ive tried the hand warmer idea it works for about 2 seconds, face it if you want to use gas in the winter co2 is the only way just make sure you ask your site first.
      well actually Co2 also can be effected by external temperatures....the only way you can use a gas gun without any effects is by using high pressure air HPA
      VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
      trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

B.E.N. is spot on, core temp for the average person is 37 degrees. So, a hand warmer will raise whatever it's touching to above skin temp, if it didn't then you wouldn't feel much benefit. BUT, the chemical reaction that causes the heat is over quite quickly, so the mag would be cooling the pack as it heats up and metal absorbs more heat than human skin.

Having said that, if one could get a mag to warm sunny day temperature, then it may make quite a difference for the first few shots. With the NPAS fully open, my GBBR [it's for sale BTW!] hits about 500fps, but when I left a mag in the sun for a while it hit just below 600.

EDIT: sparrowhawk, my Xtreme .45 CO2 hit 500fps after being left in the snow for half an hour.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
          You can call BS all you like, but heating your mags up will cause them to fire harder, we know this, so it's not infeasible for a heated mag to fire too hot.

Your body has a core temperature of around 37 degrees I believe, the outer temperature will be nowhere near that.

running my 5-7 on abbey ultra with a heated mag raised the FPS on a cold day from 270-280 to 300ish. So yes it does make a slight increase, but nowhere near enough to push it over site limits, not unless you really over heat it, but TBH youd burn yourself with the heated pouch first! Plus a metal mag will cool down quite quickly once its out of its nice warm pouch, especially after a few shots. So the chances of it doing any significant damage to your gun or being excessively hot is negligeable at best.

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post

I'm thinking its probably not BS too. Those hand warmers tend to be between 40-50C and can remain in that range for up to an hour. Metal and liquid gas are both fairly conductive of heat too. If you've filled your magazine in the cold, with a cold can, and then heat it up to 50C (granted you may need two hand warmers to keep that up) I can see it blowing seals out easy. Dont forget that when the gas is cold its more dense, which means you are getting more liquid gas in the magazine per fill. Warming that up will cause it to expand giving you a much higher pressure. I put a handwarmer on one of my 1911 mags for about 10 minutes and then fired it at a tree. The BB stuck. Kicked like a mule too.

Comment

Perhaps keeping the handwarmer behind the pouch would be a better option rather than in with the mag...seems to obvious comprimise to me
              Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
              I've never seen an Aug look so large :p

Comment

Would it work though? the condura material is pretty tough stuff to get through!

Comment

If it's an internal pocked, don't make it out of cordura?

I've seen a GBB m4 mag burst a spontaneous leek on a summers day. Quite a violent one at that. Left on the car roof for a little too long. Silly boy. Having said that, those mags are notorious for leaking anyway.
                  sigpic
                  Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                  I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Sorry I assumed it would be in a molle pouch or belt pouch. Thats where I keep my mags!

Comment

I mean, if you use a Cordura pouch, with an internal pocket. You could make the material separating the mag from the hand warmer, from any material you want.
                      Or you could make the mag pouch from CF or injection moulded plastic. Whatever. Or if you're manufacturing this properly, you'd probably be able to get a hand warmer that's slower release than some, and will heat at a lower temperature, and either be smaller, or last for longer.
                      sigpic
                      Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                      I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Have a look at a company called Exo2 - they make heated bike kit and are the company behind the Berghaus Arctic kit.
                        The do heated waistbands and gloves that could be "adapted" or actually have a chat to them nicely - they'll be at the NEC this month for the bike show.
                        Originally posted by mr lean 81
                        painting is part of a manufacturing process, you dont buy a car without paint on it do you???

(unless its a DeLorean)

Comment

I will post pictures later but I have a mag that's unusable now because of overheating it during the r&d part! The seals were still intact but the pin location holes were a whisker away from failing!
                          It was not that hot but its all about the expansion space thats left in the mag after its filled.
                          Its possible to use chemical heaters but electric heating is the way.

Comment

For all those that called BS here is a pic of a mag that was very close to failing and it was heated well within the range of a chemical heater!

Like I said before its got alot to do with the amount of expansion space thats left in the mag..

Caused by heating to this temp! Was only 15c above ambient temps!

Not rocket science but just another one of my fruitful projects.

Outside temp was -1c

If you make a fortune out of my bright idea or any cash for that matter please send some my way.
                            If you convert your holster please think of me EVERY time you pull your pistol to warm your little pinkies up.

Please be very very careful as its very easy to make lots of smoke and flames with a few batteries and a bit of wire.!
                            Nobody wants to see a holster go up in flames especially if its attached to your belt!!

Comment

That is a scary amount of movement!

No idea how it would work, but really the mag only needs to be around 20c to function well. I'm looking at your pics, and seeing that as 40c?!

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                                That is a scary amount of movement!

No idea how it would work, but really the mag only needs to be around 20c to function well. I'm looking at your pics, and seeing that as 40c?!
                                Would of went with a bit of a pop I suspect!

Be very careful when heating ANY gas filled vessel!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sir naggedalot Find out more about sir naggedalot
                                Working...
                                X