Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weathering an ABS pistol slide?

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know what colour the black stock TM Hi Capa pistol slide is? Would like to weather it, as the metal lower frame is starting to get there, and I'd like the top slide to match, but as its plastic and not metal, I have no idea what i would find underneath if I wore it down!

Anyone done this?

Re: Weathering an ABS pistol slide?

Don't wear it down... From the link in my sig...

Technique 2: Dry brushing. (Any guns)

The second technique we've employed to get that battle hardened look, even on a plastic bodied gun is one used by modellers all over, called "dry brushing". Before you start, you are going to need to source some metallic silver paint, we've found the range available at Games Workshop to be spot on and well priced. For less than £3 you can pick up a perfect water-based pot of "Boltgun Metal" which will be enough for about 20 guns. You'll also need a small paintbrush, but just get a cheap one as this technique isn't particularly kind to them, and a wad of tissue paper or kitchen roll.

This technique doesn't require quite the commitment of the sandpaper method, but ironically will wear off over time, but it's a great way to try out the look at least, or if you have a plastic gun, to give it a more solid appearance. Firstly, give the paint a good shake before you open it, crack it open and take a small amount onto the tip of the brush. Then, wipe it off onto your tissue paper or toilet roll. You need to work a tiny amount of paint into the brush, up until the point it barely leaves a mark on the tissue. Then lightly brush over the area you want to make look chipped, scratched or worn gradually building up a metallic looking layer on the raised edges.

Comment

Thanks for this! I had already seen that post but forgotten about it.

One thing though, how do I "work the paint into the brush" if I keep wiping it on the kitchen roll? Slightly confused at this bit.

Also, how long do you think that method will last in a retention holster?

EDIT:

Sorry, dumbass me just used google for a step by step guide and i get it now! I thought I would keep putting paint on over and over, and keep taking it off!

What colour would be best for the black slide? Im also going to colour in the trade indents with a very dark gunmetal grey, think it would look better if I did that first, let that dry, then included the trades in the dry brushing? Or do it the other way round?
      Last edited by Boo-Sabum Ben; 2 December, 2010, 14:06.

Comment

I'd run the paint into the trades, then drybrush with the "boltgun metal" colour... Means a trip to Games Workshop though...

Comment

When you say run the paint into the trades, THEN drybrush, do you mean drybrush the trades whilst doing the whole thing? Or paint the trades then dry brush them with the same colour?

Already made the trip to the local model shop. Have to say I was rather impressed, as they have a rack FULL of paints! Took me about 10 minutes to choose which shade of grey :P

The grips I have coming are 2 colours, one lower frame just black but with different grips to the stock version, and an OD lower frame.

Im thinking drybrush that lower frame with black rather than the gunbolt, might look a little odd!

Comment

also, to prevent the paint coming off, perhaps a once over with lacquer? just a thin coating. Or would that end up looking awful?

Comment

To get a good affect i would wash the slide in some warm water! and a bit washing up liquid to get any grease from your hands are oil off! then start to drybrush!. Have a look at the real steel to get an idea of what parts wear away the most and the least..

Comment

Ok. It already has some slight wear on the slide from the retention holster, but it doesnt really show up at all unless you have a close inspection. Not sure if dry brushing there is a waste of time as I imagine itll be taken off instantly. Its also sort of in the middle of the slide, rather than along an edge.

Just one thing, how do I dry brush the trades? Mine are indented, and all the step by step guides I have for doing this are done on raise parts, like the control panel os an airsoft plane cockpit, with bumpy buttons etc. Do i just have to do extremely short strokes on the very edge of one side of the letters on the trade, what method would best achieve decent looking trades that dont look like a child painted them?

Comment

If you rub nearly all the paint of your brush and just build it up gradually, you should be able to pick out the trades

Comment

Thanks Ben, Was wondering if perhaps a light dabbing of the actual bottom of the letters of the trades (like the bottom of the pit that the indent is) and the dry brush the edges of the letters, and should look pretty good!

The hardest part is probably going to be knowing when to stop, and when to step back, take a look, and think yeah that looks great! Before i simply cover the ENTIRE slide in paint :P

Comment

well, I had a go at it! not sure about the success though. It probably needs just a little bit of work here and there. The front of the slide is far too much, and the trades look a bit messy!

Half way through...

Put back together...

See what I mean about the trades...?

Comment

looks good mate
                        trading WE M16A1 for CYMA or RS SVD with PSOP
                        http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...ting-trades%29

Comment

thanks bud!

Just gave the whole thing a real good scrub with turpentine, cleaned the trades right up and looks a heck of a lot better.

Also toned down the end of the slide a lot too

Comment

Looks pretty decent to me too actually :D

Might be something I try on my plastic slide Glock actually!

Comment

new pictures of the trades and front end. Looks a lot better now! Really happy with it!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                              Working...
                              X