Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting down and Re-threading barrel

Hi People

just woundering if some one could help, im looking to cut my cqb barrel down to just over a 7inch one, and was woundering how easy will it be to do? like keeping the thread going straight while its being die'd and things

many thanks
    sigpic

As long as its started correctly it will keep itself straight.
    I take it your planning on doing it yourself?

Comment

Re: Cutting down and Re-threading barrel

Yeah i am, thought id give it ago as the tools to do it will only cost like £15-£20 and its only a Element aluminum barrel and saves me importing the size barrel i need.

Would i need to do any prep work? And will the die be ok goin straight onto the barrel? Or would i need to reduce the thickness of it 1st? If that makes sense
      sigpic

Comment

Are you aware that the thread on the barrel and silencers etc is 1mm pitch as opposed to the common 1.5mm?

Comment

yeh, allready looked into that bit, just waiting for a shop ive contacted to get it in stock
          sigpic

Comment

Threading anything is simple, as a mechanic ive done it on the fly many times.
            Simply cut the barrel to the length you want, very slightly file the edges so they are a little rounded (only slightly) so the die has the best start, use plenty of lube while doing it (i used engine oil) any decent thickness oil will do no WD40 crap, and the most important thing to remember is after ever full turn of the die make 1/4-1/2 turn in the opposite direction to break away what you have cut otherwise if you just cut all the way with no return in between when you have finished and you unscrew it you could find you end up taking you new thread with you or damaging it.
            Bottom line just go nice and slow take your time and your laughing.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Identiti Proud Father Find out more about Identiti
            Working...
            X