Thread Lock gel + gearbox ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Lock gel + gearbox ?

Hey I was just wondering if "Thread Lock" gel is necessary when replacing screws back into the gear box.

I saw it mentioned on this video talking about the V3 TM ak47 gearbox.
    http://www.mechbox.com/mechbox/v3-me...g-upgrade.html

Cheers.

Re: Thread Lock gel + gearbox ?

Not worth the risk. The screws arent gonna come out on their own really, and if you get thread lock in the gears its gonna make things very sticky and not work very well at all!

Comment

I've never had a gearbox bolt come loose and I don't use threadlock.

Threadlock will certainly give peace of mind when putting a gearbox back together though.

Comment

I always use Loctite 243. It's strong enough to stop the vibrations working the screws loose, but never too tight that you can't get it out again!
        dsgdreamteam

Comment

As above.
          I always locktite every metal to metal screw i remove.
          And as for getting it on the gears?!?! I would love to know how much and where that guy is using it???
          Is it worth yours being the one that vibrates a screw loose and at best you have to try and source a new one, at worst it gets caught somwhere in your gun and causes some form of damage?
          All for a tube of locktite that costs pennies?

Comment

Originally posted by tisane View Post
            As above.
            I always locktite every metal to metal screw i remove.
            And as for getting it on the gears?!?! I would love to know how much and where that guy is using it???
            Is it worth yours being the one that vibrates a screw loose and at best you have to try and source a new one, at worst it gets caught somwhere in your gun and causes some form of damage?
            All for a tube of locktite that costs pennies?
            I always use quite a bit, probably too much! But to be honest, the ampunt of thread and the depth of the hole you are screwing into, couple that with the fact that the gearbox fits in very snugly in the sides in most rifles, and the screws probably arent going to be falling out!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mikeyc22 19 Find out more about Mikeyc22
            Working...
            X