Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking My Hicapa Rail on tighter!

Hey guys,

Having a real pain in the arse problem with my Hi capa at the minute.

Its the 5.1 from TM, and comes with a little rail that you can attach yourself. However, mine came apart at a game yesterday, both the screws came out and got lost, as well as the rail wiggling itself off the screws, and almost getting lost as well.

Can these two parts be welded together? (the rail to the flat surface on the pistol frame) Or has someone got a better way to do it? I really would like it night and secure so I dont have to be careful with it!

Please dont suggest thread lock and screws. I dont have the orginal screws anymore, and thread lock was what they were held on with before...

Re: Sticking My Hicapa Rail on tighter!

You could try a two part epoxy plus new screws if you don't want it to go anywhere.

Comment

forgot to mention the problem with new screws!

The thread in the rail is a wide and sparse one. I have screws that fit, but rather stupidly, the thread in the read stops about 3/4 of the way through it. Meaning I cant screw the screws all the way through it and tight, they dont go in far enough.

So to use different screws, Id have to drill a hole into the rail, re thread it, and then screw it on.

How solid is Epoxy?

Comment

I always try to have some "solid" connection as well as the epoxy, such as a screw, bolt or peg to stop it from moving. I don't think the epoxy will hold the rail on its own.

Comment

The screws would help the alignment as well.
          What size/head type are the screws - it'd be in the manual.

Comment

Aha, found the screw size, M2.6x5

Will have a look for them in the hardware shop across the road, and try a combination of thread lock & super glue to stick this bastard on!

Comment

M2.6 is a bit of an odd size.

Comment

tell me about it. But in the back of the manual the two screws are labelled as parts such and such, and on the table at the back, among the jibberish language, are the letters m2.6x5

Comment

A lock washer? (i.e. a split or wave one)

They will take up the slack in the mating faces and also keep the screw under tension so it doesn't undo. The amount of tension they provide isn't generally sufficient in most cases, but you aren't going to be able pre-load something like that.

Don't have my sizings to hand but i believe split washers are slightly under the DIA. of a soc. hd cap screw, as i think the rail is counterbored?

Comment

Originally posted by ethics View Post
                    A lock washer? (i.e. a split or wave one)

They will take up the slack in the mating faces and also keep the screw under tension so it doesn't undo. The amount of tension they provide isn't generally sufficient in most cases, but you aren't going to be able pre-load something like that.

Don't have my sizings to hand but i believe split washers are slightly under the DIA. of a soc. hd cap screw, as i think the rail is counterbored?
                    Ok, just gonna go to the shops and ill see if theyve got all the bits i could use then. Problem is theres not much space inside the pistol, and the screws dont go all the way though. So any thing I add to the thread, is taken off how much thread the screw grips into in the rail.

Comment

*before i re-read your posts* I thought the screws were too long and bottoming out? therefore a washer between screw & rail face would help?. if you are saying there isn't enough thread engagment (1.5D is plenty for that) Get a longer screw + washer to take up the extra screw length.

*after i re-read your posts* Does the screw go down through the frame and the rail is the threaded piece? it might be tighter but the above could still work.

Comment

Not quite, heres the problem

The pistol is a clean hole, the rail holds the thread, but it doesnt go all the way through. The thread stock sabout 2/3 of the way through, and after that is a blank clean hole. So any screw thats the right thread and size wont poke through the bottom of the rail. Meaning the only thing I can use to make it tighter, is thread lock and glues

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                        Working...
                        X