AUG to Stanag conversion - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUG to Stanag conversion - help

I'm in the middle of converting my AUG to take stanag magazines but have got a dilemma. I am unsure what to do for a mag release/catch and want to know what your ideas are.

cheers
    Originally posted by hellbound
    Magpul'ed guns wish they had Chuck Norris attachments

Re: AUG to Stanag conversion - help

'cor mate, I'd never thought about doing that but it's an appealing idea after equipping myself with a set of STANAG mids but having only one mid for the AUG.

So would the AUG mag release not hold in a mag with the PMAG/EMAG style lobes at the rear end of the mag? Hmm, tricky one though aye.

You any good at welding? :D

Originally posted by Lonewolf873
    Mods can you please edit the title to shirt as I'm sure 5.11 don't sell shits.

Comment

Haven't got the equipment for welding unfortunately. I don't have a PMAG or EMAG to test and the stanag isn't as big as the AUG mags so it doesn't reach the back lip of the mag release.

Comment

My brother just thought of magnets either side of the magwell to hold it in place.

Comment

Well, I'll have a look when I get home and if I manage to somehow think of anything useful, I'll post it. The only thing to be honest would be to attach some sort of extension on to the mag so the lip sits in the mag release. Can't see any other way of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluegill View Post
            Well, I'll have a look when I get home and if I manage to somehow think of anything useful, I'll post it. The only thing to be honest would be to attach some sort of extension on to the mag so the lip sits in the mag release. Can't see any other way of doing it.
            The problem with this is if you do this the M4 mags will no longer fit in a M4 magwell meaning it would have been much easier (and probably cheaper) to just get Aug midcaps. The only idea I can think of is make something similar to the M4>Uzi magwell conversion meaning it is also easy to take out if you come to sell the Aug. not sure how you would go about making one, maybe modify a metal Aug hicap in some way?

Comment

I bought some neodymium magnets (The VERY strong ones in motors) if I can manage to leave enough room for the mag to just slide in and stick in place.

Comment

Originally posted by GrammarNazi75 View Post
                I bought some neodymium magnets (The VERY strong ones in motors) if I can manage to leave enough room for the mag to just slide in and stick in place.
                You must've subtracted material from the sides of the magwell? My STANAGs wouldn't even squeeze in due to the thickness of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BringOnThunder View Post
                  The problem with this is if you do this the M4 mags will no longer fit in a M4 magwell meaning it would have been much easier (and probably cheaper) to just get Aug midcaps. The only idea I can think of is make something similar to the M4>Uzi magwell conversion meaning it is also easy to take out if you come to sell the Aug. not sure how you would go about making one, maybe modify a metal Aug hicap in some way?
                  Good point but I mean that it'd be easier to source m4 mids because they're cheaper/more common than AUG mags second hand (in my experience anyway!) the Uzi idea is interesting, like the real steel 9mm AUG conversion. Shame it's so damn ugly!

Comment

I just dremmilled (?) the magwell at the front a little bit and put a speedloader tube nozzle on the magwell. I will post pics once the magnets are fitted. However a downside of magnets is having to buy metal midcaps (unless low caps are the only metal ones)

Comment

Originally posted by Bluegill View Post
                      the Uzi idea is interesting, like the real steel 9mm AUG conversion. Shame it's so damn ugly!
                      Noooo you have the wrong end of the stick, I mean make an Aug to M4 adapter like the M4 to Uzi adapter. So just use the same principals of the M4 to Uzi adapter and make an Aug to M4 adapter

Comment

Here are some pics.

Feed nozzle Araldite'd to the magwell (will not feed otherwise)

The neodymium magnets putting into the magwell

The magnets in the magwell. biggest pain in the a** ever, the magnets kept jumping to each other. I put magnets on either side on the outside of the magwell to keep them in place.

The Araldite is drying and will put up more pics tomorrow or Saturday to show how it fits in and if it feeds.

(This is ex-two, I bought it in a clearance sale from a uk hobby shop as it was cheap)

Comment

Originally posted by GrammarNazi75 View Post
                          The Araldite is drying and will put up more pics tomorrow or Saturday to show how it fits in and if it feeds.
                          Will the magnets be strong enough to hold the mag in against the feed nozzle?
                          Others till I die

Comment

yeh i have little 5mm square ones of these and 4 are enough to pick up about 6 kg at a push so 2 that size will hold anything, but will also stick to any of your kit, possibly mess up the internals too,

Comment

Test fired it earlier and it works fine and fits nicely and sticks in the magwell fine

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

GrammarNazi75 Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Find out more about GrammarNazi75
                              Working...
                              X