What Causes M4 'Stock Wobble?'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Causes M4 'Stock Wobble?'

Bit of a random one here, but I've recently picked up an old Dboys M4 with standard type M4 adjustable stock - but it wobbles all over the place.

I just want to know whether it is the build quality of the stock itself that causes the wobble or the quality of the stock tube.

In other words, if I bought a better stock would I still have the same issue?

Thanks in advance.
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Re: What Causes M4 'Stock Wobble?'

Is it the stock wobbling on the tube or the tube itself?

Tolerances in airsoft parts are pretty wild, so I've found that if the stock wobbles on the tube, a bit of black tape on the top of the tube normally sorts it.

If it's the tube, then tighten the adjustment ring right down as hard as you can.
    sigpic

Comment

Both my other M4s are LR300s! (that should be like a bumper sticker on my Dboys M4...).

I say that because this is the first actual M4 I've owned. I've just spent the last hour giving it a thoroughly good external clean, took off all the removable bits for a good going over, etc. Everything is tight and solid (including the stock tube) but the stock itself is very wobbly. Slight wobble 'up and down' bit lots of movement 'left and right.'

The idea of taping the tube had occured to me, but I do seem to really enjoy sliding it along at the moment and didn't want to impair the motion.

As for the adjustment nut on the base of the stock, it seems to have a 'sweet spot' at which it sits and operates. Tightening it past this just results in the stock moving freely and not sitting into any of the positions.

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

I've never found that adjusting the nut makes any difference to a wobble.

A layer or two of duct tape should stop the wobble, but not prevent easy sliding. Give it a try, if you don't like the result you can always take it off. It worked on my VFC 416 when fitting a JG stock.
        sigpic

Comment

Cheers for the advice.

Will get to taping in a couple of minutes and let you know the result.

Comment

Use some tactical tape aka black electrical insulation tape!

Comment

Right, tape has done the trick well enough. Just placed four thin strips atop one another on the top of the stock tube. It's stopped the wobble to a large degree. It does prevent me from fully 'closing' the stock (I couldn't find out what word is the correct opposite of 'extend...') but I never use that setting anyway, so win all round.

Comment

Why dont you purchase some sticky backed velcro. Cut three strips of the FLUFFY stuff 1cmx2cm. Stick them length ways inside the stock at the 12, 4 and 7 o'clocks. If ts too tight take 12 off. It will tighten it all up AND you will still be able to extend/retract the stock.

I use small bits of fluffy stuff for taking up movement in the magwells too.

Comment

Originally posted by old_and_slow View Post
                  Why dont you purchase some sticky backed velcro. Cut three strips of the FLUFFY stuff 1cmx2cm. Stick them length ways inside the stock at the 12, 4 and 7 o'clocks. If ts too tight take 12 off. It will tighten it all up AND you will still be able to extend/retract the stock.
                  This is good thinking actually - I already have a roll of this velcro too since I use a tiny bit (in a similar way to you've suggested but on the lower inside of the frame) to take the slide wobble out of my M1911s. Don't know why I didn't think of it first!

That said, I'm happy enough with the results of the PVC sticky tape now. It slides comfortably to full extension/'fifth setting point' (which is where I 'use' it at) and back down to 'third setting point' which is where I think it looks best at and consequently store it at.

Thanks for the advice on both counts gents.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Longshot Find out more about Longshot
                  Working...
                  X