silencer + inner barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silencer + inner barrel

hi, new to airsofting so dont really know a lot and even when i do read bout these things i dont always understand.

i have a JG m4, with a 363mm (i think) inner barrel.

just wondering, would it be possible to put a longer barrel such as a 509mm or thereabouts m16 inner barrel and cover it up with a silencer? just so that its not sticking out the end
    Originally posted by fijitstiks
    they are a waste of time dont know why the british army still has them
    Originally posted by N3ADS
    Is this you talking from experience ?..
    i was at cadets for 3 years

Re: silencer + inner barrel

Originally posted by crotmate View Post
    hi, new to airsofting so dont really know a lot and even when i do read bout these things i dont always understand.

i have a JG m4, with a 363mm (i think) inner barrel.

just wondering, would it be possible to put a longer barrel such as a 509mm or thereabouts m16 inner barrel and cover it up with a silencer? just so that its not sticking out the end
    No problems at all, that's what a lot of people do.

Just be careful not to put too long a barrel on it. If the barrel is too long, it actually slows the BB down due to some weird and technical physics!
    sigpic

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

I think it is called "Suck Back", where as the pellet goes forward it creates a vacum behind it, pulling it back.

Although it is possible to put a longer barrel in, why do you want to do this? When I changed from a 229 to a 363 I had to upgrade the cylinder and pistons too to push it that extra distance.

Comment

oh really? i might do that in the future sometime anyways, but if i put a silencer on the m4 it has no purpose, but if the barrel becomes longer then it does have a purpose simply because its acting as an outer barrel so to speak

Comment

Just don't. Likely hood is your JG m4 is already firing over the site limit. You won't get a range increase from a longer barrel, it'll be derogatory to your accuracy. Get a silencer if you want. They do make a slight difference. But getting a new inner barrel, because you have a silencer, is like shooting yourself in the foot, because you're waring a shoe.
            sigpic
            Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
            I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Originally posted by dope_on_a_rope View Post
              Just don't. Likely hood is your JG m4 is already firing over the site limit.
              why would having a longer inner barrel have any effect on the fps?

Comment

The bb is in the barrel for longer, thus has pressure behind it for longer, thus experiences more of an impulse (change in momentum), thus speed is increased.

And to explain the suckback theory:

If the barrel is too long (as in way to long), the bb will still be in the barrel when the piston has stopped moving forward, meaning that any more movement forward by the bb creates a presuure drop behind it, sucking the bb back. This is made even worse if the bb is still in the barrel when the piston start to draw back again, as then the pressure difference is much larger.

Comment

so its advised against then? just get a silencer and 363mm tightbore, rather than 509mm or something?

Comment

i have a psg barrel in my aug. its 590 mm.

Comment

whats the performance difference between the original 510mm barrel and the 590mm psg barrel

Comment

A longer barrel won't give much of an FPS increase, even with a new cylinder to match. You'd be better off spending less money on a new spring guide. I wouldn't even do that. It's probably fine as it is. Why do you want to change parts?

Sorry for implying longer barrels increase FPS in my previous post. Poor wording on my part.
                        sigpic

Comment

sounds as though ive shredded a gear so likely to be upping all the inernals at somepoint anyway, gonna try for make the internals on par with something like a tm m16, and put an m16 tightbore.
                          so surely wouldnt a longer barrel increase accuracy? or range?

Comment

No. TKOS explained suck-back quite well. Pay attention. You can change the cylinder out to a larger capacity, when you change the barrel, to keep it matched. That won't usually increase the FPS either though. Unless it was poorly matched before. Which it shouldn't be. And why spend all that money when you can just get a TB of the same length you currently have? Fix the gun for sure. Upgrade it if you want. But I wouldn't think this upgrade is going to actually help you in any way. If anything it'll just serve to destroy your accuracy, due to having your barrel float aroud the inside of a silencer.
                            I'm trying to be helpful, but if this comes across as me talking down to you... well, whatever. I am.
                            sigpic

Comment

im pretty sure i have the longest barrel available (correct me if im wrong)

its done wonders for range and accuracy......

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

crotmate Find out more about crotmate
                              Working...
                              X