Making metal black again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making metal black again...

TM hi capa, the upper frame has started to get worn out from my efforts to make it as smooth as possible against the slide. It's lost a lot of it's colour, and has patches of silver on it from where it's been scuffed. With the new slide and grip, it looks a bit odd!

Any way to help restore it to it's original colour? I have some black enamel paint, would gently rubbing thin layers on help?

Re: Making metal black again...

There are some chemical blackening products around. Most of the ones I see recommended are from Birchwood Casey. Which one you use depends on the metal involved.

Comment

Enamel paint will build up a very thick layer quickly and will probably scuff and fall off pretty quickly. For minor blemishes I use a couple of different permanent markers that do a great job of covering minor nicks.

Search for gun bluing kits on the bay they are surprisingly easy to use and the results are permanent.

Comment

Ah might have a look into that. Rough, decent prices?

Comment

About £5 gets a one hit multi cream and £20 gets a proper kit enough for a couple of shotgun barrels.

Read the instructions and take your time and all will be well.

Phil...

Comment

Will only need the one time kit really, its only the sides of the frame that ive scuffed with wet and dry!

Thanks guys!

Comment

I'd have suggested the Sharpie marker too, but the Hicappa's frame isn't quite black (well, my TM 4.3's isn't anyway), it's more like very dark grey.

Comment

I use a marker and wipe it off insantly, it builds up eventually.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                Working...
                X