Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

m14 guide 2slot rail - need help fitting it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m14 guide 2slot rail - need help fitting it.

Hey guys, i just purchased a UTG charger guide rail for to fit onto the reciever of my m14 so i have a slot for my rear scope mount, it replaces the little square part (charger guide i think it is?) on the rear of reciever, just in front of the ironsights, I've managed to take this off (pushed out the metal pin) however am struggling how to fit the new rail piece so it's secured properlly and won't budge, it fits in, but wobbles around and slides out easily?

Pictures are below, it include the rail, a small piece of metal, and a screw, but i can't see how to fit it, maybe somoen can help?

This is where it should go, see it moves about and is not secured...

Here is what it has come with...

And this is the part it is replacing...

Please help somebody as i need to fit a scope to the gun without a big scope mount!

Thanks for any help, let me know if more pics needed!

Re: m14 guide 2slot rail - need help fitting it.

all you need is a longer screw
    sigpic

Comment

When you tighten up the hex screw, does it pull up tight into the slot?

In reality, it's no more than the mechanism that you use when securing something to a RIS rail. In this case, it's on an angle, but the principle is the same.

What you've got to try hard not to do is strip the head out of the bolt, while at the same time tightening it hard enough that it can't move.

If you can't get it to grip on the small part then, as said above, the screw is too short. If it does grip, then it's long enough.
      sigpic

Comment

hmm, if it's a longer screw, will it not fit simply because the metal underneath would be in the way, the hole thats there is less than a mm wide...

I've tighteneded it as far as it will go, but still slides around, would some sort of spacer/washer do it?

Comment

It's basically a clamp, so what you need to do is find some way to make the small block be tightened hard against the bottom, while the large section is pulled hard down against the top.

I would imagine that a washer won't help if the screw is all the way in, but it could be worth a try.

If not, you may need to shave a little metal off the top of the smaller section as it looks like the two halves are coming into contact with each other before the clamp is tight.
          sigpic

Comment

I can't see that anything needs shaving off?looks fine when the screw is tight on the reciever, it just wobbles about :S

is there any alternative as i really cant se how i could get this to work?

Comment

Let's just double check that we're talking about the same thing!

The large section sits on top of the receiver. The small section slides into the dovetail. The screw goes through the large section and into the bottom section, but doesn't go into the receiver.

Is that correct? If so, it fits the same as the rail on my M14.

Assuming that it's the same, there needs to be a gap between the top section and the bottom section when it's fully tightened up. If not, the bottom section won't be clamping tightly up against the bottom of the dovetail. In your top picture, it doesn't look like there's a gap between them.

If you had a full length rail then it wouldn't matter so much as it would be pulling against the side screw, but in the case of the short rail you've got, it has to clamp tight all on it's own.

Sorry about the huge file, but if you have a look at the way the rail fits on this real steel, you'll see how the bottom section is recessed into the top section to allow to to fully clamp onto the receiver.

EDIT: The bl**dy forum software has resized the photo. Have a look at it on the original site and it's a huge photo with loads of detail.
              sigpic

Comment

i see what you mean, so the small piece of metal that goes into the dovetail, that should be pressed against the reciever metal, and should be a gap between that and the rail...

On mine, it's the otherway round, it's close up to the rail, and there is a gap between the metal piece, and the dovetail base...

The screw simply goes through the metal piece, not into the reciever...

Yes, it is the same as yours.

in actual fact when i bought it, it says it came with some sort of spacer, it didn't that i know of, but didn't really think of it to be a problem...

Comment

It doesn't really matter if the top is pulled down into contact, or the bottom up. What matters is that the force is between part ofthe mount and the dovetail and not just between the two halves of the mount.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hmm, well then what can i do? I'm really confused as to why it aint just clamping into place?

Comment

You'll need to adjust it in some way that it's fully in contact with the dovetail before it's two halves are tight up against each other.

Personally, that would be a dremel job, but you may be able to play with the spacers in some way to achieve what you need. If you're unsure, try to picture it as the side grips of a RIS mount pulling together across the rail without actually touching.
                      sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

joshh1512 Find out more about joshh1512
                      Working...
                      X