Moulding a custom rifle case insert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moulding a custom rifle case insert?

I want to custom mould a case insert for my M14.

I've just picked up a new Flambeau case, but with the egg box foam it's a bit too tight. I know I could cut the foam, use pick and pluck foam or simply put in some slimmer foam, but I feel like doing something different.

I saw something on the TV years ago showing how they moulded seat inserts for formula one cars, using a bag full of beads that the driver sat on, then they added a liquid and the seat hardened around them. I've looked for this stuff on the 'net, but it's bl**dy expensive!

The closest I can come to it as an alternative is to use expanding foam by layering the case with loads of clingfilm, then squirting a can or two of foam in, then covering the foam again in cling film and finally pushing the gun down into it and weighting it down till the foam sets.

I'm pretty sure this would give a reasonable result, but can anyone come up with an alternative suggestion before I blow a few quids worth of foam on something I only "think" will work?
    sigpic

Re: Moulding a custom rifle case insert?

What you need is the packing stuff,

http://www.spray-insulation.co.uk/Fo...-packaging.htm

http://www.packaging2buy.co.uk/expan...um=feedmanager

You may have to add 2 pieces together to get the required length

Comment

Perfect, but the prices!
      sigpic

Comment

Just an idea maby heat up Akkad of rubber mould Ur gun in and then leave to cool down

Comment

Originally posted by edwa2 View Post
          Akkad of rubber
          What mate?
          sigpic

Comment

Slight alternative, i did one for my m14 in a peli 1720

i googled a company nearby to me that did foam inserts for cases who cut the high density foam including the lid waffle foam for 30 quid. I then used a router to cut the various depthed holes, v v v messy but came out razor sharp as if done by a factory
            Originally posted by Bluegill
            5 years Backyard Skirmishing...

I hope that's not an airsoft euphemism

Comment

Originally posted by oneshot187 View Post
              Slight alternative, i did one for my m14 in a peli 1720

i googled a company nearby to me that did foam inserts for cases who cut the high density foam including the lid waffle foam for 30 quid. I then used a router to cut the various depthed holes, v v v messy but came out razor sharp as if done by a factory
              One of the options I'd thought of was to layer a couple of pieces of foam, so that there's one solid (but thin) layer on the bottom with the part that's got the cut-outs glued on top. The one thing I hadn't worked out was how to get the cuts good enough. I've read about hot knife/wire cutting, as well as using an electric bread knife, but a router sounds like a much simpler way to me.

Cheers.
              sigpic

Comment

A load of rubber

Comment

Originally posted by edwa2 View Post
                  A load of rubber
                  Ahhhh!
                  sigpic

Comment

Having used the expanded foam, the results may not last long term, depending on what grade you get it does break down into a sandy substance!

I bought myself a proper hot knife table to cut flightcase foam, I'd be happy to cut foam for you if you want!

Later daze

Lee

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                    Working...
                    X