Which battery connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which battery connector?

Upgrading my Masada AKM to lipo and i was wondering what type of connector will give me the best performance, deans or XT60?

Re: Which battery connector?

Im in the process of swapping over from tamiya to something new and my first thought was XT60's they seem better and indeed some other posts from people have suggested the XT60 are superior however then i came across this from from another site:

From left to right in above photo:

1. Faux 'Deans'.
    2. New HC XT60's.
    3. Real Deans.
    4. Anderson Power Pole (aka Sermos)

All connected via tin plated 14ga bus wire. First three are soldered. APP is crimped with WMR crimpers.

Leads on DMM are maintained at a controlled spacing (2.0") via popsicle sticks. Dumped a known current (10A) through the whole chain and then measured the voltage drop across each connector. From there, the power loss for each connector (and a little wire) can be easily calculated. (poor man's 4-wire kelvin meter )

The results were somewhat surprising, to me at least.

Drumroll.....

The worst of the bunch was the faux Deans which came in at 6.2mV of drop at 10A. Calculated resistance is .62 mOhms.

In third place was the new Hobby City XT60 which had a resistance of .58 mOhms. This one really surprised me as I expected it to do much better.

In second place was the crimped APP which had a resistance of .41 mOhms.

Top honors went to the real Deans which charted a resistance of .35 mOhms.

This guys test says the deans (authentic not a HK rip off) seem to be better!
    Now im unsure as to which way to go. So ive ordered one of each to test. Will check the rate of fire between tamiya to deans to XT60, if i do get an increase between deans and XT60 then i'll make the decision then!
    . .

Comment

I considered XT60s at one point, but ended up using deans, because my own tests said exactly the same as the post above.
      I also found I wouldn't have had the space for XT60s as there's barely enough space for Deans in my 552.

Comment

Thank you that was a very complete and informative answer. Deans it is then, so I take it I have to watch I don't get fake deans then?

Comment

If you end up with Dean's, get the ones with the grips on them. Much easier to use.

Might have to do a similar test to the one above myself because it just seems counterintuitive.
          Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
          Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Would quite like to see some "half decent fake deans" vs "real deans" for comparision.

Infact what I really would like to see if a ROF test.

Same set up, different connectors. See if there is bugger all difference in it :D

Comment

Ive got genuine deans and deans style on order so will pop the results up when i get them soldered in
              . .

Comment

Good man as i am about to have my AKM fitted with deans but i am considering ordering real deans and having them delivered to land warrior for fitting to my AKM, the same with my 2x 7.4v 2100mah lipos from components.

Comment

Do zeroin do real deans connectors?

Comment

the real deans give a 5%-15% rof increase jag, due to the gold plating effect being more transfer usefull

the fake deans i chucked in the bin as they just melted if got too hot from long burst's in support guns ie minimi para,

seen and used peoples guns that run on xt60's not a fan

you can get a set of real deans from any RC shop or the bay for less then £5

Comment

Thanks guard-sniper87's looks like i made the right choice.

Comment

I like deans but for my latest M4 i've used 4mm bulliet connectors ( the fullt type) they are also very good
                        Signature Removed: Please read the forum rules

Comment

Originally posted by windywindmill View Post
                          Im in the process of swapping over from tamiya to something new and my first thought was XT60's they seem better and indeed some other posts from people have suggested the XT60 are superior however then i came across this from from another site:

This guys test says the deans (authentic not a HK rip off) seem to be better!
                          Now im unsure as to which way to go. So ive ordered one of each to test. Will check the rate of fire between tamiya to deans to XT60, if i do get an increase between deans and XT60 then i'll make the decision then!
                          Allready done this, ages ago and XT60's gave a higher rof. But you do need to consider the space required. Also if your battery wire is to thick, I think I used 12AWG but anything thicker is better either with the correct size bullet or deans.

It is pointless using 5mm bullets with 16awg for example.
                          Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Yeah the xt60's I thought were superior to deans but then when I read the test that chap did it put a, hmmm, in my head. That's why I wanted to test all the connectors myself and if you've already tested and xt60s came out with better then that's put a lot more confidence in them! Space is no issue just good performance and reliability for this jobby. Switching over to deans for the other guns for simplicity.
                            . .

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

UNMORTAL I can be a bit of a dick, take it or leave it. Find out more about UNMORTAL
                            Working...
                            X