Weathering guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weathering guns

yeah but some people are too busy sorting out guns to play airsoft...

But that is how I weather mine, my m16 looks nice with actual wear

Comment

There's 2 distinct types of weathered look to a gun. The first, is what comes from sharp objects. It'll be the sort you acquire while airsofting and bashing your gun about. Just general scratches and maybe dents. The second type, is where the surface treatment has worn off. You wont get this very quickly from using your gun. It's the sort you see a lot more of on real guns. Where the edges have worn down a little, and the parts where your hands rest will have lost some of their finish. To get a good effect, you're going to need to have a reference picture really. So many people just seem to think, "it would wear lots around there", and it ends up looking totally naff. Wire wool is the best method to wear down paint in a natural looking way, but you've still got to be careful not to go silly.

You'll find most real guns aren't as scratched as they are worn. The materials are hard enough to resist scratching. Blued steel wont scratch very easy, but will wear very quickly if left dry. Then it will start to rust too. So airsofting with your guns to make them look worn, you could say is going about it the wrong way if you want an authentic look, like a real weapon would have.
      sigpic
      Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
      I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Originally posted by GLORYBOY21 View Post
        An idea? why dont people play Airsoft? That normaly makes your stuff look used...
        The trouble with that is, I want it to look like it's a real service rifle, handed around hundreds of soldiers and given a real hard life. As I skirmish once a month at the moment, I'd be fifty by the time it looked the way I want it to.

If you want something (which I do), take it or make it happen(which I have) - that's how you get what you want, when you want it (I have it now)
        Signature Removed

Comment

So I did my Sig aswell, pics don't really do it justice, but what you think?
          Signature Removed

Comment

I think the best thing to do it to would be a steel and wood ak that would look brilliant
            "I guess it comes down to a simple choice. Get busy living or get busy dying."
            Red - Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Did this to a brand new TM-based SIG with metal kit. Technique was to wear the edges with a very fine grade nail file (courtesy of the Mrs). These are the foam-backed ones so fit to contours quite well. The key is not to overdo it!

Comment

That's a beauty Panoptes, I love the old non rail version.The weathering looks really genuine.

I was aiming for over-used and abused so wasn't worried about overdoing it too much, it still needs some ramdom knocks, maybe courtesy of a chain in sack with the gun

Just figure out how to post pics in the thread! :D :D :D
                Signature Removed

Comment

Originally posted by MistroJoe View Post
                  I think the best thing to do it to would be a steel and wood ak that would look brilliant
                  check out the pics of bo sabum bens ak, best looking ak ive seen!
                  Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

Originally posted by MistroJoe View Post
                    For plastic use dry brushing, get some dark silver paint on a small brush then dab as much of it off as you can then paint the corners like you've done with the wire wool it comes out a treat
                    So, now I'm addicted to basically f@cking up my guns, next on the agenda was my Maruzen Remington 870.

I used Joe's technique as it's fibreglass, and I have to say it works really well, you get an effect you can't get with wire wool and if you don't like it you can rub it off! :D

Signature Removed

Comment

Now that does look good, proper thrown about don't give a monkey's style.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Cayuse Playing since June 2007 Find out more about Cayuse
                      Working...
                      X