Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working with miliput

hi all

iwould like to get some advice from people on here that are a dab hand with modelling putty especially miliput

after a successful atempt on creating a sfw front sight i have moved onto another project requiring its use.

basically i have screwed 2 pieces of aluminium together and have recessed the screw holes, so i have a piece with holes that i want to fill and smooth the surface of the plate at the same time but i am struggling to find a tool that will press the putty into the holes and smooth off the miliput at the same time it seems to bulge up and not smooth out.

would a stanley knife work wetted and used to slice it flat? the plate is only about 1cm ish wide so its not big just seems impossible to get the smooth finish i need

cheers all

urban

Re: working with miliput

Not quite sure it is what you after, but I find rubbing over with a wet cloth gives it a shiney smoother finish.

Comment

i need to get a flat surface on the miliput so when it gets painted it doesnt show the bumps as the metal isnt completely flat. the first attempt still showed up slight indents even though it was only sanded down what appeared to be flat unil it took a layer of paint then they showed through

Comment

Miliput does have some natural shrinkage as it dries, so will probably require two applications...

Comment

ah ok i will give it another thin layer over the top once i have given it another rub down to give it something to grab on and see what that dries like,

cheers peeps

Comment

Id have suggested using slightly more than required then sanding down with wet and dry fine paper till you get the desired effect
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Identiti View Post
              Id have suggested using slightly more than required then sanding down with wet and dry fine paper till you get the desired effect
              ^ This.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

urban spec-ops Find out more about urban spec-ops
              Working...
              X