Spring Guide Stopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Guide Stopper

Looks like I need a new one as the damn thing keeps dropping out after a few pulls of the bolt resulting in me having to take the rifle apart just to be able to push the bolt forward again. Question is am I better off just replacing with a Laylax one or is a PDI one a better puchase as it seems to be manufactured to a higher degree so I spesume these are fine with a SP150 spring?

£20+ postage for the Laylax and the PDI is £14+ postage although not sure how much it will be to ship from Japan.

Re: Spring Guide Stopper

Could really do with the advise please guys. I'm sure the experts on here can help me. I did search the forum before posting by the way.

Comment

Your spring guide stopper is not broken. I'm guessing your spring is pretty old, and when you take the cylinder head off, it comes out easily, and doesn't try to rocket itself across the room. Normally a spring will be longer than the cylinder. This means, even when not cocked, it pushed against the spring guide stopper, giving it enough friction to keep it in place. The spring is probably at fault. Can't imagine much could be wrong with the stopper. The other option, is fine a piece of stiff foam, and wedge it between the trigger guard and trigger unit. That'll stop the spring guide stopper from being able to drop under it's own weight. The foam you find in TM accessory packs is perfect for this.
      sigpic
      Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
      I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Mmm, well that would be a shock. I bought a brand new spring, used it a couple of times then bent the other barrel so the gun was put away for a year I guess, maybe a little less. Can the spring still wear out even if its not being used? I presume if it does this is because it is under constant compression inside the cylinder even when not cocked?

So if I get a new spring this should help stop the stopper from dropping out?

I did think about doing something similar to what you suggested with the foam although I was just going to stick a bit of gaffa tape over it but might look for some foam.

Comment

If the spring still performs at the FPS you'd like, don't get a new one. There's nothing wrong with foam. That way you can save yourself some money . Gaffa tape would work as well. I just use foam because it came that way from the last owner. Handy too, you don't have to peel off a new bit every time. Just stick it back in it's hole. Job done.

And yeah, the spring could ware over time. Nothing unusual there. It's not a problem that the spring's gotten shorter. Just something that happens. It will have effected your FPS though. So it's worth checking. And if you need more power, then you can buy a new spring.
          sigpic

Comment

Well the other day when I took the cylinder apart I was a little shocked that the cylinder head didn't come shooting out as it used to. I think I might invest in the new spring as I want optimum performance from the rifle when I can get things working again.

Gonna re-do the PTFE too which should help a little as this was done ages ago by the last owner.

Also, whilst on the subject of the cylinder area of the gun, how important is the pad on the top of the piston, I presume this just stops the piston slamming into the cylinder head. Mines a little worn thats all.

Comment

Yeah. spot on. It also helps to stop grease getting the in vents in the piston head. It's not vital. But it makes things softer, quieter, and more durable.
              sigpic

Comment

What about replacing the O-ring? Any idea what size I need and is the fit supposed to be tight or a little loose?

Comment

Take it into a hardware shop... Someone else might be able to answer that question. Don't know if bitchtits is listening?
                  sigpic

Comment

not sure what the o-ring size is,and dont realy want to strip my rifle down to check as its working so well recently.

if you still have the origional piston the o-ring from that is better than the laylax one.

i will try find out in the next few days for you though, and if its very slack it need replacing (its always a wee bit slack though).
                    also is the spring guide upgraded or the stock plastic version.
                    user name changed from b*tcht*ts

Comment

Well basically all of the internals are upgraded Laylax PSS10 parts. That's the spring guide, spring guide stopper, piston sear, trigger sear, piston, cylinder head and spring. The only parts that is still original internally is the cylinder.

The o-ring does seam a little loose but not sure if excessively or if that's how it should be as all these parts were fitted by the previous owner so never seen the piston/o-ring looking any different than it does now. I might try to get a picture up later to give a better idea

Comment

Well I gave the old girl a good strip down today in readiness for some new parts to be ordered this week and it would appear the o-ring looks ok. Afetr cleaning all the grease off I popped it back on to the piston and carefully slid it in to the cylinder and it seems to line up ok so don't think it is stretched after all. Gonne go with foam or gaffa tape to hold the stopper in place when it's all back together but need the new spring before this. Stripped down and cleaned the whole trigger assambly the other day and used a new spring (from a lighter) for the rear sear that sticks up (sorry don't know it's name) and seems to have cured the slam firing.

Today I stripped the whole cylinder and barrel right down the the bare hop rubber, cleaned the rubber and re-done the PTFE mod then re-assembled everything. Then need a new spring, damper pads and cylinder (all to come this week hopefully) then will put the rest back together with some silicone spray inside and teflon out and hopefully it will be good to go and not at too much cost although ideally I would like a new upper receiver but need to see if anyone on here offers one/puts one up for sale. :D

Comment

Bugger! I bought a nice new cylinder and bolt handle, new damper pads, new spring and re-fitted everything to find...it is still slam firing. The good new is that now the new spring is fitted the spring guide stopper no longer falls out so that one problem solved at least but now the problem must lie with the trigger or piston sear. I have managed to purchase some new standard VSR sears cheap and although these are not ideal for running at 500fps which is what the gun used to run at they may at least hold out long enough to fit one sear, re-assemble and test fire. If the slam firing has stopped I know it was that sear that was the problem and so can buy a new Laylax sear. If it persists after fitting I will replace the other sear and hopefully then it will stop so basically a process of elimination will be needed but my money is on the piston sear as it has rubbed to a silvery finish on the edges.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Babyalien Easy going fella, always up for a laugh. Crude sense of humour. Find out more about Babyalien
                          Working...
                          X