Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well type 96.

Hello everyone,

this is my second sniper based upgrade thread, my first being devoted to one of my A&K SVD's, unfortunately due to money issues at the time i had to cancel that project as it never got off the ground. recently though things have changed. i've managed to get my hands on a second hand Well Type96.

so I'd like to restart the upgrade project, but instead as indicated, for the type 96 instead of the SVD. basically i'm back to square one on this, and again have really no idea where to start. or what to upgrade, in total i'm looking to achive the maximum FPS allowed for bolt snipers (475 or there about). and accuracy you'd expect from such a rifle.

basically, I'm hoping you boltie-heads out there could give me afew pointers on what needs upgrading, why and where i could procure such items. my main source of parts will be ******* airsoft as i'm ordering a large bulk order from them soon and figure i might aswell just add items to the list. obviously i'm not looking to get it from basic to super in just a day or so, its a project gun. but eventually I'd like something to make the enemy think twice atleast.

but yeah, sorry if this has already been raised, do you guys have any ideas or recommendations about upgrading a Well type 96?

on a side note; i only have the mag that came with the gun and i'm looking for a second, could anyone with a WELL type 96 tell me what mags fit or what mags to buy? and i cant find any 'well' specific mags anywhere.

cheers guys, and thanks for the help in advance!

Re: Well type 96.

please read the last few pages of the massive upgrade guide ,

myself and mj23lj talk a great deal about the L96 rifle and upgrades and results

ALSO , WELL AND WARRIOR ARE THE SAME RIFLE , JUST USA RENAMES THE MANUFACTURER

and parts are covered in numerous threads including stickied thread

Comment

couldn't something more useful be made, I started reading that thread and as a beginer it was just far too dry! I want to learn what parts are and why I need them upgraded etc but surely a thread started on 10th December, 2008 with 170 odd replies is a bit much to read through?
      sigpic

Comment

well/warrior and maruzen all make l96 rifles,the well/warriors being clones.

parts wise alll parts made for the maruzen l96 and some for the aps2 will/should fit(i only found some small variances in a few pieces between the maruzen and warrior).

if i was ever to buy another would i buy a clone or maruzen(not that i would).....

im not sure which i would choose,the maruzen is deffenatly better in terms of build quality,but as with my first maruzen the only parts i left origional were the stock,reciever and hopunit,so i payed over £400* for just these at the end of the day.
        *mine was so expensive as i probably had one of the first or the first in the uk,as i had it pre ordered 2 months before release in HK.

first thing you need to know about upgrading a rifle is power means NOTHING without accuracy-sadly this is where the l96s fail compaired to other rifles.
        upping the fps with just result in any inaccuracys being shown ten fold.

the first thing you need to look at is the hop/barrel.
        you have two options here
        - stick with the orgional set and do some custom work(if your very,very lucky you may find an ok projects 6.03/4 barrel,but i dout it)
        - change to a pdi hopunit and new barrel(aeg or l96 barrel)aeg rubber

personaly i would stick with the stock hop as you can get better results with a bit of tweeking.
        i would turn the hopinto a set hop for the weight of bbs being used,i found mine only like .43g bbs.*you will need the power upped to do this though as if you set the hop for .43g bbs then up the fps, the hop needed will change.

this can be done in two main ways- remolding the hop arm or adding a new nub.

then you need to look at sealing the hop unit as it doesnt have the best seals,ptfe tape around the barrel to fill any inner seals then you could use anything form nail varnish to silicon sealent to fill any gaps between the casing and barrel.

if you go with the pdi i would also do this sort of work.

i would also fit barrel spacers at least 2 but idealy between 4 and 6.

when you are happy with accuracy then you need to work on power & longevity.

you again have two main options here pdi or laylax,either are just as good as the other.
        but as with most there stuff i found mixing between the two didnt work quite as well as sticking with one brand.

to reach 500fps you should be looking at a m150 spring if you need more than this you have problems with your gun,mainly airseal.
        for example my maruzen hit around 504fps on a m150 and hit over 560 on a m170.

the main parts you need to upgrade at this fps are
        TRIGGER UNIT-pss2/pss96 trigger sear/piston sear and set pin or pss2/pss96 zero trigger.

if you have the cash get the zerotrigger,the casing on the stock trigger units are know to crack occasionaly,mine lasted over a year at over 500fps before it tore its self apart.

CYLINDER SET- be it laylax or dpi both make full cylinder set and there worth getting as you realy need all the parts when running high fps,if you cant find a full laylax set all the parts can be bought seperatly and most the pss2 parts also fit.

the parts in these are
        cylinder-you best to go with the teflon laylax or palistine pdi as these give a smoother pull.
        pss2 cylinders DONT fit. you need to check the version of the rifle also,but unless its an orgional maruzen it should be a version 2 l96
        (the version 1 had a small bolt handle bar where as the vesrion 2 has one double the width).

Piston-pps2 and pps96 piston both work fine

springuide-as above

cylinder head- you can get a few versions the standard laylax upgraded one was best for me,there changable nozzel one was just to much faffing around,and never seemed to make any big difference-pss2 should fit but not 100% sure.

spring guides-best to go with the 9mm over the 7mm especialy as all the higher springs are 9mm,again pss2 fit fine,though you loose the cocking indicator.

there shouldnt be much else you can do now unless you want to go the pdi reciever/outer barrel rout,if you do change to a flutted outer barrel you will need to change barrel spacers also.
        user name changed from b*tcht*ts

Comment

i had a look at the PDI cylinder set for the type 96, but it says its for the Marui type 96, will it still fit my warrior/well? from my experience with AEG's that is just a guideline but I'd like to make sure before i spend £100 or so at-least on a cylinder set.

cheers for the reply and sorry about the pause for a reply.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
          X