Over-Tightened Screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-Tightened Screw?

Right, I've just started upgrading my BAR10. Today i was attempting to fit a new hop rubber, but when i got to the Metal block covering the hop up one of the screws appears to have been over tightened. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to remove it without de-thread the screw or the head???

Cheers

Re: Over-Tightened Screw?

has the thread been damaged (ie, the screw just turns and turns) or is it the head of the screw (ie, allen head or cross head) messy so tool doesnt grip well?

technique ive used in the past is to tighten the screw very slightly (and it is VERY slightly, just enough that it has moved) , this breaks the hold of the threadlock, or where the screw had bound a little and then it will undo a lot easier.

what type of screwhead is it?
    Originally posted by rockinrobin
    52 asterisks! Is that a forum record for one post?

Comment

No the head isn't damaged and its not turning at all, gave it a go with a drill and still nothing... ITS STUCK!!!!

P.s. its a phillips (i think) .... this shape +

Comment

A drill already?? lol...is that with screwdriver bit?

is this one of the 2 screws that split the hop rubber chamber?
        Last edited by jibjobbob; 21 September, 2010, 18:34.

Comment

Right tried your slightly tighten technique and it worked!!! THANK YOU

Comment

yep, thats a phillips. best bet is use a proper screwdriver that fits really well, a nice tight fit in the head, this will stop it moving and rounding the screwhead out.

If the screwdriver has a big handle, all the better - get more torque that way.

get the part on a solid surface where you can lean into it and get your weight behind the screwdriver then turn it very slightly tighter, then try and undo it, 9/10 times this will fix it

If the screwhead is fine and the threads havent been stripped out before, nothing will get damaged so long as the screwdriver fits the screw properly and you can get planty of pressure down through the screwdriver

Comment

ah great!!! nice one :D youre welcome!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Elitesniper Enjoy listening to and playing music, a (good) round of golf, and of course a skirmish. Find out more about Elitesniper
              Working...
              X