BAR10 or VSR10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAR10 or VSR10?

I was speaking to a friend earlier regarding my gun... I have a JG BAR-10.

He advised me, instead of buying upgrades for my JG, save my money and buy the TM VSR10 on the grounds that it's all better quality.

I agree with him that the TM would be better quality, but when I'm looking to replace most of the working parts with aftermarket upgrades, I'm sure buying the VSR would be a waste of time? For the £200 odd quid, I could buy a teflon cylinder and aftermarket piston and trigger sears, then with my next load of play money, I could throw in a tightbore and the rest of the goodies...

Am I right or is it better to build from the TM basis?

Re: BAR10 or VSR10?

Keep the JG and upgrade it....

Comment

So how much of a drop in quality are we talking between the JG and the TM?

Knowing a little about the manufacture of these things, a lot of the costs and therefore the end price is in the tooling and the QC, or are some of the JG parts made of plastic where they are metal in the TM?

Comment

No, the plastic metal ratio is the same. The only difference is the quality of the metal.

But seeing how your upgrading it, theres not much point buying the TM only to repace the internalls.

Comment

Generally material will be the same for both, but in some places in the bar-10 less durable materials are used, such as the bad metal used to make the sears. However this point is made obsolete because you are upgrading the crucial parts with aftermarket parts.

The only other thing you will notice is the finer detail or 'qc.' Generally some of the bar-10 parts aren't as clean cut as the TM parts. Such as the outer barrel may not have such an accurate thread. Have a look around on your bar-10, you will probably notice a few little nicks or areas that to be honest could have been casted more accurately. Pretty much the TM will not have these, or at least not as many too such a degree.

To be fair the first difference is obsolete if you are going to upgrade the bar-10. The second point are very minor things, and to be honest it is a trade-off and a personnel thing. If you personally don't mind the few little niggles, then the money you will save is more important. However some people want perfection in the exterior, and even the TM won't give you that.

It is a minor thing and up to your own opinion. For me, I feel that JG has caught up very well on QC and the difference in the 'finer detail' isn't worth the extra money in your position. The difference is very minor and I would not bother if i were you.

Hope that helps
          Old Feedback: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9500-TaylorB

Comment

Thanks for the useful replies guys, it's a huge help!

I can't really see me ever wanting an AEG, I'm just too addicted to the meditative action a bolt action requires, I just want it to be as reliable as possible.

I'm going to upgrade my BAR10 accordingly... The only thing I'm a bit stumped on is the trigger... These Zero triggers seem great, but it seems like it would only be worth getting as a final touch?

Should I buy uprated trigger sears or just blow a wad on the zero trigger (I assume it's going to be required to get this thing near 500fps?)

PS. Sorry if you guys have been over this a hundred times...

Comment

Read here dude,

http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5069

Very compreshensive guide from the VSR guru.

Comment

Curiosity got the better of me today... I decided I needed to see what was going on inside my BAR10, so I stripped it back to it's component pieces...

To my susprise, no drilling was required to get the cylinder head off of the cylinder itself, as I had been led to believe by numerous youtube videos, also, the piston face already had a substantial damper made of soft rubber fitted.

I was also appalled by the lack of any kind of factory lubrication. The trigger assembly was COMPLETELY dry as was the rest of the gun. After a good lube up, the trigger and bolt cycle now feel absolutely silky and the gun is nigh on silent. I think I may have got a wee bit of grease on the hop rubber too, but a mag full of BBs and some careful prodding with a piece of kitchen paper seem to have prevented any real adverse effects.

Comment

Why do you need grease on the trigger mechanism?
                  sigpic
                  Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                  I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Originally posted by dope_on_a_rope View Post
                    Why do you need grease on the trigger mechanism?
                    The trigger assembly has loads of little pivots, springs and other metal-on-metal parts...

Comment

Well, I've run my trigger unit without grease for 5 years. A friend's run all his sniper rifles without grease for 8 years. It just seems an unnecessary thing to me. I've never heard of anyone doing it before, and I can't see it's really going to make any difference with such tiny little movement in the parts. I'd personally be more worried about the grease attracting dirt and grit possibly scratching the sears and increasing wear. I keep my trigger clean, just not greased...
                      sigpic

Comment

i wouldn't go for laylax. Very pricey.

I would get everything from EDGI

you have to email him. google it.
                        Old Feedback: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9500-TaylorB

Comment

Originally posted by dope_on_a_rope View Post
                          Well, I've run my trigger unit without grease for 5 years. A friend's run all his sniper rifles without grease for 8 years. It just seems an unnecessary thing to me. I've never heard of anyone doing it before, and I can't see it's really going to make any difference with such tiny little movement in the parts. I'd personally be more worried about the grease attracting dirt and grit possibly scratching the sears and increasing wear. I keep my trigger clean, just not greased...
                          My background is in bicycles (weird and anally retentive) and if I know something is metal-on-metal I can't rest without greasing it. It's probably mostly a placebo effect but it definitely feels smoother.

I fully prepared to break it down and de-grease/re-grease every couple of games, probably more in winter...

Comment

Well, fair enough. Don't let me stop you. I doubt it will hurt at all, I just don't see the point.
                            I will warn you about taking the gun apart too often though. JG had a terrible reputation in their earlier BAR 10 days, for making screws out of a metal with similar structural properties to paper mashe. No guns like being taken apart too often anyway. It might seem like a good idea at first to keep everything well greased and cleaned, but if you can avoid taking a gun apart too often, it's always better. Even my VSR is beginning to need parts entirely replacing now. The first one to go was the screw that holds the barrel to the reciever. Not really a vital screw, just stops parts rotating. Retapped it once, striped itself again. It's now held in by blue tack.
                            sigpic

Comment

That's certainly something I have noticed, I see thread-loc and lots of tiny ny-lock nuts in my future!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

B.E.N. Intensive airsofter and forum heckler. I like dismantling stuff. Find out more about B.E.N.
                              Working...
                              X