LiPo do's and dont's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LiPo do's and dont's

So as a complete newbie to both airsoft and batteries I have somewhat thrown myself in the deepend by starting out with LiPo's.

Now the Internet would have you believe that the second you take your eyes off them they will engulf into a ball of flames which I find hard to believe.

What are the general do's and dont's with LiPo's?

Re: LiPo do's and dont's

First thing to do is use Search.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
      First thing to do is use Search.
      Thank you for your detailed contribution.

If everyone just used the search feature there would be no forum?

Comment

Originally posted by original poster View Post
        Thank you for your detailed contribution.

If everyone just used the search feature there would be no forum?
        No, if everyone used the search feature there wouldn't be about a million threads about the same thing.

Comment

^ This man he talks sense!

Comment

Fuck sake, the guy wants help! Anyway mate, buy a descent charger that has auto cut off and good flow of charge through all cells. Also buy descent LiPos not cheapos. Buy one of those 'LiPo safe bags' to prevent fires.

Comment

Wow, what a FANTASTIC welcome guys, no wonder airsofters are so highly regarded by others!

Anyway, less spam, more answers to OPs question:
              Get a decent balance charger
              Use a lipo bag when charging
              Store them charged (or the battery may become unchargable)
              Keep them dry
              Use a lipo alarm so you know when the voltage is low (same reason as storage)
              Use deans connectors for better performance
              If using a high discharge lipo (high C rating) have a MOSFET installed to protect your trigger contacts
              Take care of them and enjoy the benefits!
              Signature Removed

Comment

If you use a low voltage alarm (personally I don't) make sure you always disconnect it from your gun before storing it away.

This is because it drains a small amount of power and if, say, you leave your gun in the garage overnight, chances are it will start to sound off and during the night completely flatten the battery, thereby destroying it.

By the same token, you should always disconnect the battery after use.

Comment

I will state this, do not believe any of the crap you read about lipos being really dangerous and exploding randomly, if they did that then they wouldn't be allowed to sell them. There's a few people who seem to think that lipos are just ticking time bombs waiting to explode, they're not. If you follow the instructions given above and look after your batteries then they will be fine. Also I would recommend the iMax B6 lipo charger as it has settings for different battery types. And I would highly recommend getting rid of your tamiya connectors and replacing them with deans. Much more efficient and a much better connection I feel as Tamiya's tend to break far too easily.

Comment

Thanks chaps. Appreciate the advice.

I am going for an IMAX B6 charger as they seem highly regarded and offer more than I need, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

In terms of low voltage alarms, I have read mixed reviews on these, some rate them some don't, I plan on charging up the battery after every days use anyway so is it really needed?

Comment

they are handy to have, but if you do get one i would recumbent the LED indicated ones opposed to the buzzer indicated ones, as if its in your gun during game, they can be set of by using semi auto, which is very annoying.
                      For Sale!
                      TM M870 with a load of stuff
                      A&K massada sniper spec
                      Chronograph
                      leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Stephen View Post
                        they are handy to have, but if you do get one i would recumbent the LED indicated ones opposed to the buzzer indicated ones, as if its in your gun during game, they can be set of by using semi auto, which is very annoying.
                        Yeah that's the exact reason why I read people didn't get on with them, interesting that you can get LED indicated ones instead, that would be ideal.

How do they connect?

Comment

Originally posted by original poster View Post
                          Yeah that's the exact reason why I read people didn't get on with them, interesting that you can get LED indicated ones instead, that would be ideal.

How do they connect?
                          I'm not sure there's going to be much point in an LED one as your battery is usually covered up by gun parts so I don't see how you would see the LED light flashing.

Comment

Lipos are not dangerous the idiots who don't respect them are !!! Basically get the best charger you can afford as it is an investment that will prolong the life of any batteries you buy. Make sure you get a multi format charger that can do nimh , nicads , lipo , life .and you should not have to buy again . Always unplug batteries when not in use and always check the wiring insulation on them regularly . If they start to swell for any reason always charge them with you present , don't leave unattended .on the more powerfull lipos , 35c and above always fit a fuse as a short on one of these will weld them to your gun v easily. Salt water is used to neautrilize them and does it very well . If storing always leave at least40% charge in them and they won't deteriorate .

Comment

Thanks for the help and tips!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                              X